Do your chickens whine?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bakerjw, Dec 22, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Every morning when I go tend to the girls (my 8 tsc pullets) they whine incessantly. I fill up their feeder, they whine. I fill up their waterer, they whine. I collect eggs, they whine. The only time they stop is if I pet them although they aren't in the rooster loving mood in the early morning.

The afternoons are even worse. They whine and whine and whine. If I even reach toward them they squat and stomp waiting for their rooster rubdown which is a pat on the back ruffle of the neck feathers and a little tug of their back feathers. They fluff up and trot off all satisfied and quiet.

But egads is it a racket in the morning. It's like they're starved for my attention. I kind of like being doted upon by my flock but the racket is amazing.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have one that hums all the time. It never stops. She sounds like a grumbling old lady. The only time she stops is if something catches her attention. It takes a couple seconds for her little pea brain to register what the disturbance was, and then she starts humming again. It's actually kind of annoying. She's still my favorite, though.

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Get them a roo, he will give them all the attention they want and more. I bet they will stop making noise then. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    those are some horny girls you got there...sounds like the roo isnt giving them enough "attention"

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have one of thoses. She does sound like a worrisome old lady! Sometimes, when she isn't whining, I double-check to make sure it's really her. [​IMG]

She's my friendliest pullet, too. Follows me everywhere. If I ask her, "Molly, what's up?" she stops whining and looks at me, then starts up again.

AnonPaperclip likes this.
  7. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    One of my 4 hens is like that too. She makes that horrible noise UURGGGG UUUUURG (all day), and believe me her voice is the worst i ever heard. My sister which doesnt really love chickens was checking them out and she was like "eww what is wrong with her, what a cute voice" (ironic).

She is my favorite hen tho. Those chickens just seem to have more personality, imo. I dont think something is wrong with your rooster, because my rooster loves that whining hen and always makes out with her first, she follows him around everywhere.

Just social hens

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    My kids are always whining... [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My youngest grandson always whines. So you think that if I got a rooster to kick his butt it would help?[​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    One of my Barred Rock hens is a whiner. I always ask her if she'd like some cheese with that 'whine' lol. I'd rather listen to her whine than listen to my Buff Orpington scream. Yeah, she's a screamer....but that's a different story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by