Does anyone have experience with Lyme disease in dogs

Morgank

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Europe, Estonia
Hi! Answer only if you have experience, thanks!
How was your dog's illness? Did he recover and what symptoms did he have. Was he able to pee on his own and walk on his own?
Thanks for those answers. We, with the husky dog, are fighting this disease between life and death right now.

So sorry to hear about your husky. My Boston Terrier was the only one of my three dogs who had Lyme to have signs. One day she suddenly didn't want to move - she just laid there shivering. I think she could walk, but it was difficult for her. We brought her to the vet immediately and he pointed out that her joints were also very warm. She recovered with antibiotics. It was a long time ago so I don't remember much else about it.

So sorry to hear about your husky. My Boston Terrier was the only one of my three dogs who had Lyme to have signs. One day she suddenly didn't want to move - she just laid there shivering. I think she could walk, but it was difficult for her. We brought her to the vet immediately and he pointed out that her joints were also very warm. She recovered with antibiotics. It was a long time ago so I don't remember much else about it.
Thank you!
Tonight (EU time) has gotten a little better. Raises head and responds to sounds .

Hi! My dogs Zeke and Monty had it, a month of doxycycline and they were all better. Their only symptoms were stiffness.

My dog Fifi had anaplasmosis which was also a tick borne disease, she had to be on steroids and doxycycline. Her white blood count dropped catastrophically. She's all better now. She had a fever, loss of appetite, and fatigue.

All my dogs end up with either Lymes or anaplasmosis, and probably a few other tick diseases that aren't tested for. We seem to be in Lyme central here. I treat them multiple times a year. They all recover or go into remission, or they need another month of doxycycline.

As long as it caught early and treated most dogs recover without issues from lymes. They can get re-infected. Anaplasmosis seems to linger and need multiple treatments. Not sure if it ever goes completely away.

Dogs generally show an improvement of symptoms by 3-7 days after starting doxycycline. Never had one that couldn't walk. Some of my dogs end up with arthritis. I know dogs can go into kidney failure, but so far I haven't had that. Catching it early can help prevent lasting damage.

All my dogs end up with either Lymes or anaplasmosis, and probably a few other tick diseases that aren't tested for. We seem to be in Lyme central here. I treat them multiple times a year. They all recover or go into remission, or they need another month of doxycycline.

As long as it caught early and treated most dogs recover without issues from lymes. They can get re-infected. Anaplasmosis seems to linger and need multiple treatments. Not sure if it ever goes completely away.

Dogs generally show an improvement of symptoms by 3-7 days after starting doxycycline. Never had one that couldn't walk. Some of my dogs end up with arthritis. I know dogs can go into kidney failure, but so far I haven't had that. Catching it early can help prevent lasting damage.
Have you tried the Lyme vaccine? Our current dogs have both been vaccinated (and get monthly flea and tick preventative treatment) and so far have never gotten Lyme disease. Our past dogs were not vaccinated and all got Lyme. I've been told it's 90%+ effective now.

Have you tried the Lyme vaccine? Our current dogs have both been vaccinated (and get monthly flea and tick preventative treatment) and so far have never gotten Lyme disease. Our past dogs were not vaccinated and all got Lyme. I've been told it's 90%+ effective now.
I did. All it did was switch my dogs from Lyme infections to anaplasmosis. Those that did still got lymes seem more painful, so I finally just stopped it. I didn't find the vaccine reliable.

Ok, thank you all your answers.
We dont have a diagnose. It´s very simple-
Dog started limping 5 weeks ago. I related it because he was chasing the cat. But....he didn't start limping until 3 days later. ( a dog can get borreillosis symptoms even 5 months later. ) We are a particularly large area of ticks, my whole country is in Northern Europe. People are vaccinated in some parts of the country, there is no vaccine for domestic animals. We use drops and collars, like I use. We can't go to the vet because one of the dog's legs is sick. I can't get him in the car. There is no animal ambulance in my county. So, my story is just sad.
I lost my jack russel in December 2022. He died 1 day before his 10th birthday. My dogs are my children. I'm not a single crazy dog aunt, I still have kids too.
We are now on 4 days of antibiotics and painkillers. The dog doesn't eat. I feed with a syringe, chicken puree soup. We can hardly pee, the dog has to rest, because it seems that his heart stops.

This my bed before soup time. This is first time I see my dog in my bed like this. He is not bed alive dog! And second photo after I gave him soup, whole bed is full of soup. My husky is 80% friendly, he is a dog with ancestry papers, but his 40 kg indicates that his ancestor was a malamute. He shows me his teeth when I want to cut his nails, for example.

Attachments

• Dog 1.JPEG
    Dog 1.JPEG
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
  • dog 2.JPEG
    dog 2.JPEG
    26.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom