Dog attacked chicken! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Jul 21, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    We had 3 chicks in a quarantine pen in our back yard. While we were away today the bottom of the pen broke off and the 3 chickens escaped into the yard (without us knowing). When we got home we let our dog's outside (6 of them). After a few seconds we heard something scream. Of course we ran outside and the largest chicken had been attacked. It was laying on it's side with a dog above it. There was no blood, but it wouldn't move. We think she has an injury to her left leg. She won't stand, but uses her wing for balance when we pick her up and put her down. She will not eat or drink - I am assuming she is in shock. She is a 4 month old Brahma (very large). I gave her a baby aspirin and have put her by herself in the garage. What else should I do? When I feel her left leg it feels somewhat loose, but she lets me mess with it. Should I just cull her or wait and see if she gets better??? We've never had anything like this happen - it's very upsetting of course. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Wait 24 hours, then re-evaluate. She's most likely in shock at the moment. Keep warm, dark, & quiet.

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the reply. We have her in the garage which is quite warm - she's actually panting. Her breathing is weird - almost like she is coughing sometimes....

4. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Awe how sad I am so sorry [​IMG] Maybe in addition to above, give her some vitamins in her water (get from TSC or local feed store) to help her recover from the stress and help heal too. Maybe some special treats too 2 lift her spirits.......xoxoxo

5. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:No, don't cull her! Give her time to make a recovery. Maybe a fan in the garage for her if it is too warm, and some cold water and of course some treats!

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    The only reason I said cull is because I don't want her to suffer. I will give her as much time as she needs - I just don't know if she'll be able to walk again.

This is her, we've only had her 3 days. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chloe09

Chloe09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Sanford, NC
    She may do better if you moved her inside into a quiet area of the house where it is cooler. The heat may make her more stressed and she does not need that right now. Give her time to recover. Fluids and treats as others have suggested. Don't cull yet. Keep us updated. Best of luck. We are pulling for your hen.

8. Chloe09

Chloe09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Sanford, NC
    I just saw her picture. She is beautiful!

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    It's so nice to have this support group of members. I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up that she'll make it - but i would be SO happy if she did. I feel awful about it! We've had chickens for 2 years and haven't had a dog get one yet, until today.

10. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    What a beautiful bird!!!
    I hope she is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by