Dog attacked chicken! Please help!

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
We had 3 chicks in a quarantine pen in our back yard. While we were away today the bottom of the pen broke off and the 3 chickens escaped into the yard (without us knowing). When we got home we let our dog's outside (6 of them). After a few seconds we heard something scream. Of course we ran outside and the largest chicken had been attacked. It was laying on it's side with a dog above it. There was no blood, but it wouldn't move. We think she has an injury to her left leg. She won't stand, but uses her wing for balance when we pick her up and put her down. She will not eat or drink - I am assuming she is in shock. She is a 4 month old Brahma (very large). I gave her a baby aspirin and have put her by herself in the garage. What else should I do? When I feel her left leg it feels somewhat loose, but she lets me mess with it. Should I just cull her or wait and see if she gets better??? We've never had anything like this happen - it's very upsetting of course. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. We have her in the garage which is quite warm - she's actually panting. Her breathing is weird - almost like she is coughing sometimes....

Awe how sad I am so sorry
hugs.gif
Maybe in addition to above, give her some vitamins in her water (get from TSC or local feed store) to help her recover from the stress and help heal too. Maybe some special treats too 2 lift her spirits.......xoxoxo

Quote:
No, don't cull her! Give her time to make a recovery. Maybe a fan in the garage for her if it is too warm, and some cold water and of course some treats!

The only reason I said cull is because I don't want her to suffer. I will give her as much time as she needs - I just don't know if she'll be able to walk again.

This is her, we've only had her 3 days.
sad.png

34304_brahma_pullet.jpg

She may do better if you moved her inside into a quiet area of the house where it is cooler. The heat may make her more stressed and she does not need that right now. Give her time to recover. Fluids and treats as others have suggested. Don't cull yet. Keep us updated. Best of luck. We are pulling for your hen.

It's so nice to have this support group of members. I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up that she'll make it - but i would be SO happy if she did. I feel awful about it! We've had chickens for 2 years and haven't had a dog get one yet, until today.

Back
Top Bottom