Dog Injured Chicken

Sarah47201

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2017
My girl, Ruby, got grabbed in the neck/chest by a dog. There is an approximate 5" gash across her neck/chest that is approximately 3" deep. I think her esophagus was damaged as there are bites of corn and grass coming out of the gash. She doesn't act like she's in pain, but she must be. I know if she can't get food to her stomach she won't make it but the depth and amount of damage done also could easily result in infection. Is there any hope for her or should I put her out of her misery?

Chickens are good at masking pain, and she's probably shocky now from the attack. If you have a dog crate, cage, or whatever that you can bring her in, and keep her warm, but not too hot. Neosporin, Bacitracin, or any triple antibiotic WITHOUT Pain Relief is good to put on the wound. You may want to buy some Betadine and flush the wound(s) 3 times a day, and then apply more antibiotic ointment WITHOUT Pain Relief. Use nonstick gauze pads, and wound wrap, not too tight, to secure the gauze pads.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BAND-AID...urgical-Wounds-2-Inches-by-2-3-Yards/39074956

Sorry to hear about your girl Ruby. Some injuries like that are recoverable, depending on how much you are willing and capable of doing for her.

Here's a recent similar injury thread with very good pictures that may help you. It's long, but has a happy ending! The important stuff is in the first several pages, followed by updates. I doubt I could have gone to this extent, but after following along with it, I have hope for about any injury, and more hope for my own willingness to try! Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-neck-attack-help.1198490/

I just went out to check on her again. In the past hour she has gotten considerably worse. I think the white thing is her gizzard. Earlier it was a single piece of corn and grass that slipped through...and now it looks like everything she ate before the attack is pouring out.

Attachments

• 20171030_230558.jpg
    20171030_230558.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171030_230502.jpg
    20171030_230502.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 13
Well this really sucks. :'(
Would it be better to do it now or wait until first light? She's still acting normally.

Back
Top Bottom