Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Tying a dog can be a great way to keep a dog on your own property (especially if you have a fence Houdini), so long as you're smart about it. Make sure they have constant access to water and shade (but not food, it'll attract other animals), make sure the dog isn't visible from the road (too many human creeps in the world), only tie when you're home incase something goes wrong, ect.
OP I'm so sorry about you birds.

Sorry folks, but I think she was 100% right to kill the dog. I've put my neighbors on notice, if they're dog comes into my spread and goes for my hens, the dog dies. It's plain and simple, I won't let your loved dog come onto my property and kill my hens. The dog is the invader, crossing into my land after my animals. I'll kill the dog just like a fox or Wolf. Now a fox or wolf, I'd bury them, the dog I'll leave on the owners pourch so they know what happened to "he's friendly and never leaves the yard" dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
if you can protect your chickens from your dog with the pen they are in, then why don't you build the dog's pen like that? just a thought, i'm sure it's not that easy, but....
smile.png

if it can climb it's $1K fence, it should easily be able to scale a chicken fence. put a roof on its pen. place it in a dog run.

we've had many dogs over the years, and there is always a solution. put electric wire across the top of it's pen.

Quote:
You are sooo going to have to let us know how it goes...but, do me a favor and put it in a new post...it's getting hard to keep up with this one...

I am very sorry about the whole situation. It is incredibly sad to lose that many chickens and incredibly sad for the dog--blame the owners, not the dog. I do hope that the dog's owners reimburse the OP.

That having been said, I'm glad I'm not the only one picking up on the "Good for you for shooting the dog" vibe. No, it is not right for the dog's owners to let it run at large, but that dog was probably just as loved as the chickens it went after. I'm not saying the OP was wrong. Just because a dog has escaped does not mean that the owner is an unloving and irresponsible owner. Accidents happen. I consider myself a responsible dog owner--we have a 6 ft privacy fence that we check often (we would have an 8 ft if the city would let us), a gate that locks from the inside, a gate on the inside of our front door in case the door were to be opened, and NEVER leave the house with the dogs outside--we don't even leave them outside all day if we are home. However, we have our dogs escape--maybe twice in the 4 years we have lived here and we caught them within a couple of minutes of the escape but it can happen.

Again, I am very sorry for the loss of the chickens.

Quote:
You appear to be a responsible pet owner and I very much doubt your dogs will ever be in someone else's yard killing chickens. Note you said "However, we have our dogs escape--maybe twice in the 4 years we have lived here and we caught them within a couple of minutes of the escape but it can happen."

Dogs who end badly after getting someone's livestock are almost never the kind that "only got out once, ever." They are almost always dogs belonging to irresponsible owners.

I know people feel sorry for the dog, but we have to draw a line at what we are able to tolerate. I myself would have done the same as the OP. In fact, there are some people whose pit bulls get out weekly here. I feel lucky that they haven't gotten into my yard yet, though it's surrounded by a chain link fence. And those dogs and their owners should feel lucky as well.

Im sorry about your lost i know what your going through i was taking a nap and i heard my mom running inside yelling for me to wake up that dogs were killing the chickens i bolted up and grabbed my 12 gauge and started shooting i caught a glimpse of one of them that looked like a black german shepard and you wont believe it but my mom and dad took off looking for them and by sheer luck they found the owners brought them back and it was getting dark we couldnt get a count of the chickens until the next day turns out this darn lady the dog was a fricking WOLF DOG!! and a bulldog they killed 5 of our 6 mo BR roos one of them was smart and he found a safe place to hide and came back the next day and one of the RIR hid underneath the porch but he was scared he had his eyes closed and wouldnt open them and what we thought was the RIR roo turned out to be a laying hen cause i had spoted the RIR in the pen with the hens along with our RIR " Bull of the woods " and the cop that came over he acted like it was nothing saying that the dogs broke in because the fence was nonsense and we over heard the owner of the dogs and cop and THEY KNEW EACH OTHER! she works out a gas station and the cops stop in there at night to check on her and then mom filed a report against her with animal control this lady came back and said she would SEE US IN COURT...YEAH RIGHT!! she is the one at fault here not us and the lady only wanted to pay us $5 a bird and this was for 5 mo BR Roo 1 laying hen and the destorying of the fence and for scaring the hell out of our chickens and they were trying to get in at the 5mo BR hens we had in the brooder

I also have the same problem with these neighbors and their cat. And they got another cat. Joy =__=
I don't know why people can't be responsible with their animals. My dogs never leave the yard, except on leashed walks. I didn't mind a chihuahua puppy somehow getting into our yard though. Little thing was bouncing off the walls and the chickens were clucking, it wasn't hurting the chickens though. I bet the chickens were thinking "is it dangerous or is it just ugly?"

I think all you folks that think someone holds pleasure in shooting another's dog are just wrong. You are mis-reading taking pleasure in doing something that saves your flock. Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom