Dog still having "accidents" in the house

I have considered this but the SO is not fond of the idea. She just woke him up and ran to the back door and rang the bell to pee. Went outside and peed right away. I dont get it :idunno
Well I'd get her busy and stop babying the past you know she's had. Change her sleeping to a bed and just tell her to go to bed.

I'll ask the vet about CBD for her anxiety.

Don't be surprised if the vet responds with either "I don't know if that will help" (as few medical studies have actually been done on it) or "I'm not allowed to advise you on that" (in some states, vets cannot recommend CBD).

I bought some for my big dog but it was too sporadic for us to get good results as her anxiety was noticeable all the time (you need to dose a certain amount of time before you're leaving or whatever else may be causing anxiety) so she's now on Prozac, but the CBD does work really well for my middle dog who is scared of fireworks or other loud noise - it doesn't make him lethargic, but takes off the edge.

I have the most neurotic Border Collie known to man! He is now 10 years old and trust me drugs are not needed. Wilson was a handleful from 3 months. He was basically wild when i got him. Fearful of everything. He is still has issues at 10 but definitely a good old boy.

Am I right in this is a border collie? Lots of exercise is needed with this breed. They need to have things to do. More exercise and stimulation may help.
If it's just and accident here and there and she doesn't peeing in the play pen then use the playpen for sleeping and nap/night time and forget using a cage.

Am I right in this is a border collie? Lots of exercise is needed with this breed. They need to have things to do. More exercise and stimulation may help.
If it's just and accident here and there and she doesn't peeing in the play pen then use the playpen for sleeping and nap/night time and forget using a cage.
Unfortunately she is in the middle of treatment for heartworm so exercise is NOT an option. Once it has been confirmed that the treatment was successful she can go back to an exercise regimen...6 months from now with a negative blood test. We plan to walk her twice daily (1-2 miles a day). Right now it's just not possible.

Edit: And yes, she is a border collie mix

Don't be surprised if the vet responds with either "I don't know if that will help" (as few medical studies have actually been done on it) or "I'm not allowed to advise you on that" (in some states, vets cannot recommend CBD).

I bought some for my big dog but it was too sporadic for us to get good results as her anxiety was noticeable all the time (you need to dose a certain amount of time before you're leaving or whatever else may be causing anxiety) so she's now on Prozac, but the CBD does work really well for my middle dog who is scared of fireworks or other loud noise - it doesn't make him lethargic, but takes off the edge.
Would not surprise me one bit. "Oh you heard this works for a dog? Nope not at all here's a pill". At least that's what HER vet would tell me. I want to switch to my cat's vet but we can't until the treatment is finished. My cat's vet recommends homeopathic remedies to me where ever possible.

The truth about dogs is they don't hang onto bad experiences. Dogs want to please us so if you coddle her each time she reacts to you. Treat her like a lion and get her happy where she wants to be.
I don't feel as if I'm "coddling" her. I also don't feel that if you simply ignore something happening that it will stop. The point is to replace the unwanted behavior with the more appropriate behavior by providing positive stimuli to the desired behavior. Simply put, one behavior is rewarded, the other is ignored until the correct behavior is exhibited. I'm not at all saying öh poor baby you were abused so have a fruit roll up even though you peed on everything I love" I'm not a door mat:gig

I have a beagle rescued from a puppy mill, potty training was a chore, getting a dog door was magical because she liked to be in charge. This worked for years. We moved 6 months ago to a place with out one and there has been some regression but we have taught her to go outside and potty on command with treats. Now we just have her go outside every few hours, but we both work from home...

Back
Top Bottom