duck lover 27

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2019
Hey all!
I'm a new duck momma of 2 Pekin drakes ( almost positive both are drakes ) they are I believe 10 weeks old. I'm ordering 10 Ducklings tomorrow to add to my flock! Breeds include Cayuga, Rouen, Welsh Harlequin, buff & black swedish..should all 10 be hens? That would make for a 1:5 Drake hen ratio. Also do any of these breed require wing clipping? TIA ♥️

Last edited:
You probably will want only one drake to 10 hens.
Agreed. I've never had any luck keeping more than one drake regardless of the number of hens when it comes to my standard ducks.
Everyone's flock is different, and it doesn't hurt to try, but best to have a back up plan for when/if things go sour.

You probably will want only one drake to 10 hens.
Do breeds of ducks contribute to this? Also one of my male pekins isn't as mobile as the other one.. he seems to have a limp for a few weeks but then is completely normal for awhile. Not sure if this is just a Pekin thing.. he seems to have pretty small feet as well. And honestly I'm not 100% sure my two pekins are drakes... They are about 10 weeks old. One of them had had a pinch change in his or her quack and it's louder than the other pekins quack. But seems still more of a Drake quack to me?

You probably won't need to worry about it until your ducks are a bit older. When mature some drakes are aggressive towards other drakes, and they can over mate hens. Every situation is different. Come next spring you may figure out how best to proceed.

I keep muscovy, so I'm not up on sexing mallard based breeds, except for the eventual development of the drake feather.

You probably won't need to worry about it until your ducks are a bit older. When mature some drakes are aggressive towards other drakes, and they can over mate hens. Every situation is different. Come next spring you may figure out how best to proceed.

I keep muscovy, so I'm not up on sexing mallard based breeds, except for the eventual development of the drake feather.
I've tried posting a picture and also recordings of their quacks.. I've seen some say not all hens find their adult quack at this age but I'm unsure lol

Back
Top Bottom