Droopy Comb and Weird Green Yellow Poo?

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
My ISA Brown has not been the most energetic lately and i can’t figure out why and just continuing on giving her vitamins and such. She is around 2 years going to 3, has not laid an egg since molt season and had two prolapses this year. Just wondering what this poop means? and if her comb is looking healthy or not, it has a bit of purple coming in i think.

Attachments

• EB8EE342-5D5E-4BC1-AC0D-646A2CEC61A4.jpeg
    EB8EE342-5D5E-4BC1-AC0D-646A2CEC61A4.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 01EEF73E-D879-46E8-A975-4344C6907AE5.jpeg
    01EEF73E-D879-46E8-A975-4344C6907AE5.jpeg
    754.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 03D3D309-324D-49E0-ADD8-A472D91EC3C1.jpeg
    03D3D309-324D-49E0-ADD8-A472D91EC3C1.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 10
My ISA Brown has not been the most energetic lately and i can’t figure out why and just continuing on giving her vitamins and such. She is around 2 years going to 3, has not laid an egg since molt season and had two prolapses this year. Just wondering what this poop means? and if her comb is looking healthy or not, it has a bit of purple coming in i think.
Generally dehydration is the number 1 cause of droopy combs, but there are other causes too, such as illness.

I found a very old thread here where their chicken had the same comb and poop issues. There is a lot of discussion there that might help you pin it down. Many are suggesting de-worming.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...und-update-we-had-to-put-her-down-eyp.657704/

I'd work on hydration and see that she's eating.

With her having issues with prolapse a couple of times and the yellow urates in the poop, she may be starting to have some reproductive issues or liver problems. Sadly these conditions can be common in laying hens, especially production breeds.

Deworming is a good idea, she may show some improvement. Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.

I'd work on hydration and see that she's eating.

With her having issues with prolapse a couple of times and the yellow urates in the poop, she may be starting to have some reproductive issues or liver problems. Sadly these conditions can be common in laying hens, especially production breeds.

Deworming is a good idea, she may show some improvement. Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.
that’s unfortunate /: she eats and drinks real slower than my other hen, and doesn’t do the whole flock thing where they eat together, she kinda just stands off to the side, even if i try hand feeding, she’ll only eat a few pellets and such. she had some scrambled eggs yesterday but i will be keeping a eye on her then and see how de worming goes, thanks for advice guys :)

that’s unfortunate /: she eats and drinks real slower than my other hen, and doesn’t do the whole flock thing where they eat together, she kinda just stands off to the side, even if i try hand feeding, she’ll only eat a few pellets and such. she had some scrambled eggs yesterday but i will be keeping a eye on her then and see how de worming goes, thanks for advice guys :)
Just keep doing the best you can.
Sometimes they bounce back for a good while longer, you just never know.

Just keep doing the best you can.
Sometimes they bounce back for a good while longer, you just never know.
I checked her today and realised she’s getting pecked by my other chicken, my Australop has been the dominated one for a while, but now she is pecking at her when she is near the food causing my chicken to not drink and eat near her. I think that is why? Poor baby. So i guess that’s where her scabs on her comb came from. I seperated their water and my sick chicky is drinking and eating in these tubs rather than the gravity containers, because she would drink out of a container that’s more open now. I seperated them as well until the other one heals or for some improvement. Is it because she is sick so she gets picked?

I checked her today and realised she’s getting pecked by my other chicken, my Australop has been the dominated one for a while, but now she is pecking at her when she is near the food causing my chicken to not drink and eat near her. I think that is why? Poor baby. So i guess that’s where her scabs on her comb came from. I seperated their water and my sick chicky is drinking and eating in these tubs rather than the gravity containers, because she would drink out of a container that’s more open now. I seperated them as well until the other one heals or for some improvement. Is it because she is sick so she gets picked?
She may be getting picked on because she's sick.

Hopefully with her being separated and now has access to her own food/water she will start to improve.

Back
Top Bottom