Duck head wound

suntarab

Hatching
Jul 10, 2016
Otis, Oregon
Hello all.

My duck got attacked by a coon (i assume) this morning. She has some pretty significant head wounds. I need some recommendations on what I can or can't do for her to try and help her heal. I've got vetericyn I can put on it. But is there anything else I should use to clean or put on it?
I'm worried about it getting infected, if it was a coon.

Also, what's the likelyhood of her recovering from this? As much as I hate to say it, I feel like I'm wasting, time, but I feel like I need to give her a chance.

Thanks in advance.

Ducks can recover from awful injuries.

She needs to be kept in away from flies, rinsed off (let her swim in a tub of lukewarm water for a bit) so she can feel better and so you can get a good look at her. Check under the wings and around the vent for puncture wounds. Trim feathers around the edge of wounds to about half an inch long so you can see and treat better.

Simple mild saline solution rinses a few times a day can really help. Vetericyn is good, too, and antibiotic cream for wounds that are not deep can help.

I would be ready with some oral antibiotics in case infection sets in.

Ducks also respond very well to TLC - just talking to them. It makes me feel better to talk to ducks I have to treat, too. I'd be sure to boost the nutrition she's getting - add vitamins to her water twice a week, give a little dry cat kibble for the protein and vitamins, some fresh veg that she likes.

I need some help one of my ducks got attacked by my dog 2 days ago I have him in my tub in my bathroom. His injuries are pretty bad under his left side wing his leg muscles is showing the skin is gone no fatty tissue just muscle by his tail on his right side as well and he can't hold his right wing up. I bathed him twist a day and put neosporin on the open wounds. He is eating and drinking and grooming is the anything else I can do for him he feels very warm to the touch.

I am outdoors on the phone right now, but my first thought is you are making good progress. I would rinse three times a day with mild saline solution, keep indoors away from flies, put vitamins and electrolytes in the drinking water and find an oral antibiotic in case it is needed.

Back
Top Bottom