Duckling Diaries: The Life and Times of a Welshie Trio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BantyChooks, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

2. MandyJ

MandyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2015
    Ledbetter, Texas
    I wondered about that. I agree it would make water and poop clean up easier...I think.

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I'd just get some of the play sand from Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes... it's clean and no worries... :)

1 person likes this.
  4. room onthebroom

room onthebroom Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2015
    Amiga had a brilliant watering station idea that she posted on a different thread. The concept is you put the waterer in the bottom half of a dog/cat crate, so that any water spilled will stay away from the rest of the bedding. I'm only going to have 2 'lings so I'm looking for something I can rig up that will be a similar idea, but on a smaller scale. I noticed the feed store had triangular guinea pig litter boxes that would fit in the corner of the brooder for about $10. If I cant rig something up here, I might consider picking one up.

5. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Is this their brooder? I'm a worrier and it looks like they could potentially get their little heads stuck.

6. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    That's nice and big! And it looks very clean! You don't want to know how disgusting my brooders are; I love having ducks in my room but I won't miss the smell when they leave!!!
    Maybe sand is a good idea, after all. I use pine shavings, but [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!!!!!!!!! I have to use a lot to get rid of the smell! Not that pine shavings are bad, but ducks are kind of messy and stinky. I mean, I haven't seen any duckling brooder scented air fresheners.

7. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    That's only because the people at Glade haven't been able to recreate the "earthy, fowly goodness" of duck pewp. They need to perfect it before releasing it to the public. If it's not just right, can you imagine how many un-ducky people out there may get the wrong idea that "ducks stink"??
    No,no. It's a good thing they're taking their time with this. They have weighed out the repercussions.

As long as they don't get the Jelly Belly people involved...those guys like to make any scent edible...*HURK*

1 person likes this.
  8. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Hmmm ... good point.
    What I'm really waiting for is preening oil scented air fresheners. I'll never forget the first time I smelled that! It wasn't that it was that bad, but I was just like, "What on earth is on my hands?"

9. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    Even better, & I know I'll get a big "NEWP!" from anyone who knows what I'm talking about, but I loved how my ferrets smelled. They were raw fed so it was a clean musky scent but I just loved that smell.

...buuut I also love the smell of tree sap & diesel, so there's that...I might be weird[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by