Ducklings hatching

Prplbuttrfly30

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
I have two Ancona duck eggs that have pipped internally over 24 hours ago and nothing since. I also have one that has external pipped over 24 hours ago and nothing since. Advice?

Last edited:
The one that externally pipped is fine; ducklings take a long time to hatch, so he could be even another day yet before he's ready to start zipping.

The ones that internally pipped over 24 hours ago might benefit from a safety hole, since it's been so long. It's just a tiny hole in the shell over the air cell that will allow fresh air in for them to breathe, so that they don't suffocate.

What breed are these eggs?

Here's a link to my article on assisted hatching that talks about a safety hole, if you decide you'd like to do it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

The one that externally pipped is fine; ducklings take a long time to hatch, so he could be even another day yet before he's ready to start zipping.

The ones that internally pipped over 24 hours ago might benefit from a safety hole, since it's been so long. It's just a tiny hole in the shell over the air cell that will allow fresh air in for them to breathe, so that they don't suffocate.

What breed are these eggs?

Here's a link to my article on assisted hatching that talks about a safety hole, if you decide you'd like to do it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
They are Ancona ducks. Should I candle the internal pips again tonight before doing the safety hole? The second one that has the external pip is not working on zipping.

They are Ancona ducks. Should I candle the internal pips again tonight before doing the safety hole? The second one that has the external pip is not working on zipping.

Yep, give them a candle this evening and then go ahead and do the safety holes.

Don't worry about the external pip until it's been 48 hours without progress. Ducklings are really slow hatchers, so they'll drive you crazy with waiting, haha.

Thank you so much for the help. I am a first time duck mama. :-D So, when can I removed the hatched babies from the incubator? Everything I am reading says 12-24 hours. However, in order to candle the others tonight I will need to open the incubator and I am wondering if I can go ahead and move the babies to their brooder?

Back
Top Bottom