Ducks eating other ducks feather

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Member 630274

So i have 9 muscovys, and 2 of them started eating their friends feathers. Now im keeping them separate from the others. But i feel sorry for them and sometimes and i let one of them out of the cage so that they can roam free for a while until i let the others outside of their pen. Anyone know how can i stop them from eating feathers so that they can get back to their friends?

I too have concerns of my ducks eating molted feathers. We use the higher 8% scratch grain but I give mine treats often. Some days its peas, but almost every day they get a few flock party quack snacks with all kinds of goodness intended for health. The boys LOVE EM... the girls not so much. The girls are the ones eating feathers off the ground. YUK... and ideas or suggestions on a feed that might give them enough protine to stop this feather eating would be much appreciated. pic of quack snacks nutritional i fo for reference. MadDhwan you may wanna consider them also. I hope the pic of nutrition helps you decide without havibg to make a trip to the store.

Attachments

• 20211116_102215.jpg
    20211116_102215.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 44
this is a problem weve had all over this thread. Yes is clearly says 8% but thats what its called not the protein content. plus the pic of their treats showing 8% protein has really caused a lot of confusion thanks tho.
When it comes to poultry and livestock feed the percentage number in the feed is the protein percent...
Across the board...no matter if it's for horse foods or duck food or chicken food.

Nobody is attacking you. Every reply I saw was from well respected members trying to help you. They are gobbling feathers, so obviously their current diet is not balanced or okay. Nobody is judging you here. Lord knows we've all lived and learned. We have to start somewhere in the learning game. We're trying to help you here with a proper diet.

I personally would stop all "snacks" and "scratch" and give them a 100% balanced diet like the Mazuri Waterfowl or something like Flock Raiser.

For treats, give them fresh stuff like peas and veggies. Black soldier fly larva are also great in small quantities. Anything other than their balanced feed is considered a treat. Treats should make up no more than 10% of their diet. That's roughly 1 T. per bird, per day.

I feed a 18% crumble and give everyone peas 3-5 times a week. Sometimes I'll give peas every day, but they don't need them so it's okay if I miss a day. I get to hear all about skimping on the peas the next time they get them though lol.

yes its called 8%, #8, or 8 way... now tell me how much protein is in 8 way scratch grain... I have said this before too but yall cant seem to read those comments. Just pull from PARTS you want to pull from ignoring the rest and getting WRONG (oh so wrong information) I never said the #8 scratch grain was 8% PROTEIN!!!!! and yall have such little class you KEEP attacking me for being tired of continuing to clarify this over and over and over again. Keep making assumption. Keep attacking me for what you dont know and ASSume. I had horses too... we feed sweet 12. What does the 12 mean it that? Does it mean protein like you all assumed in #8, 8%, 8 way scratch?
The number 12 in a horse sweet feed means 12% protein.

No one is attacking you.

8% protein for ducks is not good enough.
No matter if it is a feed, a treat, or a scratch grain.
8% is not good enough.
Repeat after me... 8% protein is not good enough.

Neither is 12% protein.

I too have concerns of my ducks eating molted feathers. We use the higher 8% scratch grain but I give mine treats often. Some days its peas, but almost every day they get a few flock party quack snacks with all kinds of goodness intended for health. The boys LOVE EM... the girls not so much. The girls are the ones eating feathers off the ground. YUK... and ideas or suggestions on a feed that might give them enough protine to stop this feather eating would be much appreciated. pic of quack snacks nutritional i fo for reference. MadDhwan you may wanna consider them also. I hope the pic of nutrition helps you decide without havibg to make a trip to the store.
Your feed is too low in protein and that is why your ducks are eating feathers. Your scratch is not adding 8% protein to your ducks total diet. What the 8% means is that out of the nutrients in the scratch 8% of the scratch has protein which can be a little confusing. The minimum recommended protein guidelines are for complete feeds. Are you in the US? If so I can offer some recommendations on feed. I am curious though what brand of feed do you buy? I've never seen a poultry feed with only 12% protein.

I dont care what you feed or what you do. I care about being respected enough to be left alone when I said I was done with this thread. Ive only heard the same crap about 10 times already because only 1 person didnt belittle me about 8% protein feed that was clearly stated and pictured as treats NOT FEED. Which I felt VERY disrespected by those harping on me for something they misinterpreted and that I have asked for it to stop and none of you seem to have the respect to do so. Addctd2plnts not incuded as they were the ONLY one not all over the 8% treats everyone was belittling me for feeding as feed. I guess you didnt read "snacks are just that... snacks" or "thats like giving a kid candy and vitamins and saying they'll be fine". That to me is just as disrespectful as taking my comment stating their FEED says 12% protein and their snacks are 8% and harping on me about 8% protein in ther FEED. That isnt helpful or respectful and I ONCE AGAIN would appreciate this to stop. You obviously didnt look at EVERY reply.

Your 12% isn't good enough... especially since you feed daily snacks/treats/junk foods.

Your birds are suffering because they are not getting enough protein because you are not feeding them a balanced diet.

yes its called 8%, #8, or 8 way... now tell me how much protein is in 8 way scratch grain... I have said this before too but yall cant seem to read those comments. Just pull from PARTS you want to pull from ignoring the rest and getting WRONG (oh so wrong information) I never said the #8 scratch grain was 8% PROTEIN!!!!! and yall have such little class you KEEP attacking me for being tired of continuing to clarify this over and over and over again. Keep making assumption. Keep attacking me for what you dont know and ASSume. I had horses too... we feed sweet 12. What does the 12 mean it that? Does it mean protein like you all assumed in #8, 8%, 8 way scratch?
I was trying to help you understand how your own writing led to the misunderstanding.
That screenshot was your first post in this thread and you said.. we use 8% scratch grain.
And then became offended because everyone told you they need more protein than that in their feed.

Last edited:
Thats fine shaw. Keep joking harrassing and attacking me for what you and others assumed. Ive alteady reported your names to the page. Hopefully they can do something about yall misunderstanding (which IS ok) then attacking people with said misunderstanding (which is not ok). I know I am getting more and more rude the more yall harrass me and Ive asked multiple times for it to stop. If you read EVERY comment then you cant deny seeing it. I asked because the more yall harrassed and attacked me, the more rude I became and didnt want to cuss you all out and get banned. So thanks for being such great and helpful people. Just breathe
I see your new here,
There's a button at the top of the thread where you can stop watching threads.
You can also go into your settings and disable email alerts.
In addition to that if you find a particular user to be annoying there is an ignore button as well.
🤗 Here's a hug. Seems like you could use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom