DUST BATHING

Oxland

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
hmm.png
Hello all!
I would like to build a small 2' X 2' X 8" box to place inside the coop to give the girls a place to dust bathe. Can someone give suggestions as to what to add to this box? I have fine play sand, hardwood sawdust from my woodworking shop and hardwood ashes from the woodstove. Although, I think the ashes probably shouldn't be used. Maybe just use a bag of black dirt? Please reply. I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks!

I've heard that sand is good to use. So really, what you have sounds fine! I'm sure they'll enjoy it. Our chickens seem to enjoy pecking through dirt as that gives them a bit of variation as to goodies they can find within. :lol:

Last edited:
Peat moss is great for dirt bathing. I use it in sand, and sifted pine duff from my natural dirt supply.

Actually, chickens will dirt bathe in anything available.

This is a great question as I am ready to build a dusting area for them in the run. Right now they are demolishing the sides by trying to dustbathe right against the sides of the run and digging down. If the digging predators don''t get them, they will tunnel for them!
hu.gif

Anyway, how large of an area should I give 14 birds? My run is 20x24 ft. Maybe 3x3 ft in a corner?

As for how large to make your dirt bath box, picture how big it would need to be if all your chickens, including the roos, were to pile in, packed close like sardines. Because that is typically how they dirt bathe, in a tight pile all together. In complete, mindless joy and ecstasy.

Gheesh! I subscribed to this and never got a notification............

I think its 5 feet by 3 feet. Its a hinged piece of a 3-stack box that an engine (from work) shipped in. Sure beats hammering 2 x 4's together
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom