Holden Parris

Chirping
Aug 2, 2018
Central Indiana
I have a egg bound hen, she’s been acting weird since Thursday but it wasn’t until today that I realized that was why. Her abdomen is really hard, and she’s very lethargic and doesn’t really eat or drink. I read about soaking her in warm water and giving her some extra calcium and her own dark place, but I wasn’t sure if mabey I was too late. Any info would be great!

How old is this bird? Do you know when she last laid? Are you sure she is egg bound?
This article explains how to examine to check for egg binding and how to treat if that is what it is: https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/egg-bound-chicken/
Other reproductive problems are possible, if it isn't egg binding.
She’s 1.5 years old, and I’m pretty sure I looked up some symptoms and she seems to match them but I’ll look at the article, thanks!

Well just a check in, she died Monday evening. Upon further examination the large mass was actually her intestines. I don’t know what would have caused that, I’ve never in 5 years had a single problem with the methods I use so I don’t think it’s dietary, mabey she was just a odd bird out. Thanks for all the great info and help!!

Well just a check in, she died Monday evening. Upon further examination the large mass was actually her intestines. I don’t know what would have caused that, I’ve never in 5 years had a single problem with the methods I use so I don’t think it’s dietary, mabey she was just a odd bird out. Thanks for all the great info and help!!

Hi. I'm so sorry you lost your hen. Well done for wanting to know more and opening her up. I don't suppose you took any photos?
When you say the large mass was caused by her intestines, are you sure it was not an impacted oviduct full of "lash egg" which is infected egg material and pus (looks a bit like cooked sausage meat) and is referred to as salpingitis. This is a pretty common ailment in chickens although usually it hits birds over 2 years old. It causes abdominal swelling, usually an area just below the vent and eventually gets so large it blocks the digestive tract preventing the bird from pooping properly and it dies of toxic shock from being unable to eliminate waste, or sometimes it puts pressure on the respiratory system. I can probably find videos which show this problem if you are interested in furthering your knowledge or helping clarify the situation.

I hope I don't appear officious or pedantic (I have a feeling I might :oops:) in asking for clarification but it is just that many people read something online that others have written and identify it as similar to their bird's symptoms and assumption the diagnosis was correct and as a result sometimes misinformation is perpetuated.
If it was salpingitis (infection and impaction of the oviduct) then there was pretty much nothing that could have been done to save her. It may respond to antibiotics in the very early stages but usually there are no obvious symptoms at that point, so nigh on impossible to know to administer. Hormonal implants or expensive and very risky surgery can be helpful in stabilising the bird and preventing the condition getting worse but do not really cure the problem and are beyond the financial constraints of most people.

So sorry for your loss, and very good that you looked to see what happened. :hugs
I agree with @rebrascora that it sounds like salpingitis. This link has some pictures that may help if you didn't take any, to see if that's what it looked like.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
Also this video at the beginning in post #1 has some pictures, it's on internal laying, both conditions are similar.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-video-graphic-photos.1201052/#post-19020612

Did you do a necropsy or butcher the chicken? Sometimes it is difficult to tell what a mass is inside the abdomen. As posted before, it could be lash eggs from salpingitis, an enlarged gizzard, or swollen intestines from worms, infection, or obstruction. I have found several of those inside hens I have necropsied.

Back
Top Bottom