egg bound or something else?!

BierHuhn

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2015
one of our three ladies seemed to disappear into the coop sometime between 4 and 5pm, figured she was laying late, which is odd, but. they all seemed their regular selves otherwise today. by 7pm when we brought them their pre-bed treat, she was still in there and did not come out (as they always do when we go into the pen). we opened up the nest box to peek in on her. she was alert though barely cocked her head to look at us. we removed a separating wall and tried gently lifting her, she stood up and a little wobbly like moved into the floor/roost bar area of the coop (4x4 coop), stood there for about a minute and then got herself into a different nest box. lifted her up again and seems some yolk and membrane came out of her. we had put her on the ground. she seemed to be a bit more mobile, but went right back in the coop, into a nest box. the automatic timer closed the door, and we figured to leave her in there, figuring the egg was out (though no shell...but if there was a shell, wouldnt some of it have come out with the yolk and membrane?!) was this egg-bound-ness, or something else?! is there anything else we should've done or still do?! I am concerned, but we havent a clue as to what to do...can't seem to find any definitive info online. her comb was not pale either, if that tidbit makes any difference.

*UPDATE* she has been up and about this morning, seeming normal. she ate some of a mix of scrambled egg/feed/herbs with a bit of calcium carbonate added. seems she is in the coop again now, along with one of the others...laying maybe?! if an hour from now she's still in there i will go check on her. came across a post from another thread about antibiotics to use and how, and thinking about getting some/doing so, but the feed store doesnt open for another 2 hours and change. also, not really sure if i should bother, being she's doing ok, but figuring I should as a preventative measure?! seems my original post here got some views, but no responses...any thoughts from anyone given this update?!

Last edited:
one of our three ladies seemed to disappear into the coop sometime between 4 and 5pm, figured she was laying late, which is odd, but. they all seemed their regular selves otherwise today. by 7pm when we brought them their pre-bed treat, she was still in there and did not come out (as they always do when we go into the pen). we opened up the nest box to peek in on her. she was alert though barely cocked her head to look at us. we removed a separating wall and tried gently lifting her, she stood up and a little wobbly like moved into the floor/roost bar area of the coop (4x4 coop), stood there for about a minute and then got herself into a different nest box. lifted her up again and seems some yolk and membrane came out of her. we had put her on the ground. she seemed to be a bit more mobile, but went right back in the coop, into a nest box. the automatic timer closed the door, and we figured to leave her in there, figuring the egg was out (though no shell...but if there was a shell, wouldnt some of it have come out with the yolk and membrane?!) was this egg-bound-ness, or something else?! is there anything else we should've done or still do?! I am concerned, but we havent a clue as to what to do...can't seem to find any definitive info online. her comb was not pale either, if that tidbit makes any difference.

*UPDATE* she has been up and about this morning, seeming normal. she ate some of a mix of scrambled egg/feed/herbs with a bit of calcium carbonate added. seems she is in the coop again now, along with one of the others...laying maybe?! if an hour from now she's still in there i will go check on her. came across a post from another thread about antibiotics to use and how, and thinking about getting some/doing so, but the feed store doesnt open for another 2 hours and change. also, not really sure if i should bother, being she's doing ok, but figuring I should as a preventative measure?! seems my original post here got some views, but no responses...any thoughts from anyone given this update?!
It sounds like she laid a soft-shell or shell-less eggs. Antibiotics are usually not beneficial for this.

Offer her extra calcium (1/2 tab Caltrate, crushed TUMS or liquid calcium 1cc) and some poultry vitamins like Nutri-Drench 1cc per 3lbs of weight.

These types of eggs are very hard to pass and can be stressful. If she is not doing well in a few hours, you can try soaking her in a tub of warm water with epsom salts added in, this can sometimes be soothing and help get things moving.

Encourage her to drink, hydration is very important with egg laying issues. Scrambled egg is good, so if she will eat some of that after she is properly hydrated let her have 'em
smile.png

Keep us posted.

https://hencam.com/henblog/2015/08/a-laying-glitch/

thank you for the reply! neither she or the other hen that was in there had laid. i gave them some more feed with a bit of echinacea tea and pau d'arco tea (antibiotic qualities), a little bit of acv, cinnamon, and in one of the bowls, that i pushed at her a bit of manuka honey. not one of them was interested! im heating up a little peanut butter to add to it next in hopes it will get her especially to eat some. going to bring out some fresh water as well. we have oyster shell out for them at all times. all i have right now otherwise is crushed up egg shell, i can add some of that! and the calcium carbonate, is that not good enough to use?! waiting for the feed store to open, i'll see if they have any of the stuff you mentioned. otherwise would have to get some tums, but that will be a last resort...too much junk in those things.

thank you for the reply! neither she or the other hen that was in there had laid. i gave them some more feed with a bit of echinacea tea and pau d'arco tea (antibiotic qualities), a little bit of acv, cinnamon, and in one of the bowls, that i pushed at her a bit of manuka honey. not one of them was interested! im heating up a little peanut butter to add to it next in hopes it will get her especially to eat some. going to bring out some fresh water as well. we have oyster shell out for them at all times. all i have right now otherwise is crushed up egg shell, i can add some of that! and the calcium carbonate, is that not good enough to use?! waiting for the feed store to open, i'll see if they have any of the stuff you mentioned. otherwise would have to get some tums, but that will be a last resort...too much junk in those things.
Calcium Carbonate is fine to give, that's the main ingredient in the TUMS or Caltrate.

The main thing is to keep her hydrated and see that she is eats.

Let us know how she's doing.

ok good, tho I hadnt given her anymore. any particular dosage i should be giving on that?! I gave her (them) crushed up egg shells a few times mixed in with wet feed mash, and put some more in their oyster shell bowl.. she seemed pretty normal all day, tho they all did a lot of sitting in the shade. i saw her drink from the water bowl a couple of times, tho not as much as i wouldve liked, but again, i added water to the feed mash a few times. and she was eating just fine all day. she did go in for bed a little earlier than the others tho. will give her more calcium carbonate tmrw. she didnt lay today, but i guess that is to be expected. thanks again for the help! will update again.

Back
Top Bottom