Egg hatching that still has veins pipped?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
Hello I know these aren't poultry but maybe the same thing goes for poultry. so apparently today is hatching day for one for the lovebirds eggs (I do have handfeeding experience don’t worry) although since these were incubated by the hen before she suddenly died I have to guess what day they were on. Well one decided to pip in the perfect place today between the line i made 2 days ago and the one i made today.

I moved it to hatcher a bit late because it still had veins. Well it decided to pip anyway so I moved it right away to the hatcher. Well i discovered the pip when I was candling and i also realized that it still had veins. Not that big but still pretty much visible. Anyone know if this is normal? I hatch a lot but never candle on pipping day as the last day i candle is lockdown. Should i worry? Did i move it into lockdown too early or too late? Heres a pic (I highlighted the pip and lines)
3F17F279-DB6A-4193-9386-9B12E3DFB782.jpeg

You are likely seeing veins of the membrane and not of the chick's body in which case do not worry. Please let us know how it goes. I used to raised hookbills; lovebirds being one of them.
Thank you so much! No progress yet, im hoping that the egg didn’t go into the hatcher too late… im not looking forward to helping a tiny egg. How long should i wait before helping a hookbill chick? My last hatch of hookbills went wonderfully and they hatched fast.

All eggs have the same basic hatch. If the egg just pipped today I would not worry overmuch yet. No point in worrying about if mistakes were made either. Watch the pip area for progress. You'll likely not see changes for a while, but it should be hatched tomorrow. Lovebird eggs are delicate and to try assisting might be a disaster. When the time comes that you think the egg should have hatched and hasn't, carefully peel back a bit of shell at the pip site so you can see the membrane covering the chick. If the membrane is bloodless you can continue to break away the rounded end where the pip is and remove the membrane covering the chick in that area. Do not remove the chick completely from the shell. The chick needs to kick free on its own. This helps insure that the yolk sack has been absorbed. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL and good luck!!!!

Much of what you may read on this site about hatching chicken and duck eggs, etc. relates almost exactly to your hookbills.

All eggs have the same basic hatch. If the egg just pipped today I would not worry overmuch yet. No point in worrying about if mistakes were made either. Watch the pip area for progress. You'll likely not see changes for a while, but it should be hatched tomorrow. Lovebird eggs are delicate and to try assisting might be a disaster. When the time comes that you think the egg should have hatched and hasn't, carefully peel back a bit of shell at the pip site so you can see the membrane covering the chick. If the membrane is bloodless you can continue to break away the rounded end where the pip is and remove the membrane covering the chick in that area. Do not remove the chick completely from the shell. The chick needs to kick free on its own. This helps insure that the yolk sack has been absorbed. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL and good luck!!!!

Much of what you may read on this site about hatching chicken and duck eggs, etc. relates almost exactly to your hookbills.
It is around 14 hours later still nothing. I’ve hatched/assisted a bunch of eggs and i know how long they can take, still pretty much stressful though. Couldn’t sleep much last night (bummer since i probably won’t get much sleep after it hatches from all the feedings).

What are the chances this was a crack in the egg that I somehow didn’t notice and not a pip. Although unlikely as it looked to have pipped in the perfect area, I'm scared that even after 48 hours it just hasn’t finished up absorbing the yolk. When i candled it, the veins looked like a chicken egg on day 19/20 still has a bit of veins visible and still has a little empty area near the air cell.

Maybe I’m just overthinking though, but I can’t help it. When an egg just gives up in the egg I always feel guilty thinking maybe the incubation process wasn’t perfect. For now all I can do is wait…

It is around 14 hours later still nothing. I’ve hatched/assisted a bunch of eggs and i know how long they can take, still pretty much stressful though. Couldn’t sleep much last night (bummer since i probably won’t get much sleep after it hatches from all the feedings).

What are the chances this was a crack in the egg that I somehow didn’t notice and not a pip. Although unlikely as it looked to have pipped in the perfect area, I'm scared that even after 48 hours it just hasn’t finished up absorbing the yolk. When i candled it, the veins looked like a chicken egg on day 19/20 still has a bit of veins visible and still has a little empty area near the air cell.

Maybe I’m just overthinking though, but I can’t help it. When an egg just gives up in the egg I always feel guilty thinking maybe the incubation process wasn’t perfect. For now all I can do is wait…
Pip marks don't look like a crack. With a pip a bit of shell is pushed outward.

Lots of stress here. Sickness, surgeries, ill dogs, etc., etc. I didn't get much sleep last night either; up at 2 AM. Yikes! Off to bed for me.

Pip marks don't look like a crack. With a pip a bit of shell is pushed outward.

Lots of stress here. Sickness, surgeries, ill dogs, etc., etc. I didn't get much sleep last night either; up at 2 AM. Yikes! Off to bed for me.
Ah i see, went for a nap still no progress and it has been well over 24 hours. Well I poked a tiny hole from the pip and could see its little beak breathing but the membrane seems a bit dry, when it moves around the membrane sticks to it. I will leave it for a bit before adding water to the membrane to watch for veins.

Ah i see, went for a nap still no progress and it has been well over 24 hours. Well I poked a tiny hole from the pip and could see its little beak breathing but the membrane seems a bit dry, when it moves around the membrane sticks to it. I will leave it for a bit before adding water to the membrane to watch for veins.
A sticky membrane will mean the chick needs help. Once the blood is gone from the membrane proceed with an assist. Remember to allow the chick to kick free of the shell on its own.

A sticky membrane will mean the chick needs help. Once the blood is gone from the membrane proceed with an assist. Remember to allow the chick to kick free of the shell on its own.
yeah its pretty much stuck as the beak looks to be 'glued' to the membrane. There are still a tiny blood vessels so im just waiting for those to dry out. It also seems to be "eating/yawning" last time i saw. a few hours (around 5 hours) back i tried to help and all the membrane in the front are gone but the ones deeper down seem to still be present and it bleed a little (thankfully clotted right away). Put the chick back in the bator right away. Ill try to see if the vessels are still present in a few hours.

A chick can pip the outer shell and still have veins, because it is not ready to hatch. When a chick is ready to hatch it comes out of the shell. First pip, the chick starts to breathe air out side of the shell, and is still absorbing contents of the egg. And they take up to 24 hrs to hatch/finish absorbing. The fresh oxygen helps.

If someone helps too soon the chick in the egg can bleed.

Back
Top Bottom