Egg hatching that still has veins pipped?

As long as the chick looks OK, leave it in the cup over night as is. When do you plan to start hand feeding?
Sounds great, guess I can get a bit of sleep before waking up every hour for weeks on end. I will be handfeeding it around 6 hours after hatch. Hoping all goes well.

At 6 i saw that all the yolk was gone so i decided to let it out of the cup and free it off the other membranes. 2hours later the chick is out by itself. Right now it is dragging the shell around though. It looks to still be trying to push out of the egg (head movement and leg) im guessing because of the heft of the shell sticking on it.

Should i just leave it be or chip off some of the shell to make it lighter or? It is not stuck on a string it is just stuck directly to the baby’s umbilical cord by a dried up vessel. I think i found where the blood was coming from. The baby kept stepping on its own veins before it was ready so i guess it was the cause of the now, dried blood.
F25F3F18-2197-4F56-976A-A13B22BD5879.jpeg

Don’t worry the blood looking things in the back are dried membrane that I helped it out of last night. No more yolk, and everything is fully dry and hard i just don’t wanna yank the baby but as it is not a string I can’t exactly cut it.

I have decided to help chip the rest of the shell and antibacterial wipe the cord just in case and i think it has realized that it is out of the shell now. Next baby is in drawdown. And i think it has pipped a bit? Hoping this one hatches on its own and i won’t have to help it out like the other one.. huh, these guys pip right away after drawdown i might have to candle everyday.

Update: the chick has eaten 2 meals now and is digesting well! Hopefully being through so much for so long won't affect the chick in any way.

hm second egg seem to be doing the same thing, i saw a small external pip but no internal can be seen yet, no sound, ect. this one doesn't seem to be stuck so ill leave it be, maybe if 24 hours go past ill make a small breathing hole otherwise I think these birds (this clutch at least) seem to be pipping far before absorbing all their yolk. When i candled it it was already pipped but it still had large veins.

I am forced to open and close the bator unfortunately to feed the baby as the rcom brooder is malfuctioning and won't go over 33C. Although this room is humid at around 60% and when i close it back up it shoots back up to 65-70%.

hm second egg seem to be doing the same thing, i saw a small external pip but no internal can be seen yet, no sound, ect. this one doesn't seem to be stuck so ill leave it be, maybe if 24 hours go past ill make a small breathing hole otherwise I think these birds (this clutch at least) seem to be pipping far before absorbing all their yolk.
All eggs pip before the yolk sack is absorbed; perfectly normal.

When i candled it it was already pipped but it still had large veins.

I am forced to open and close the bator unfortunately to feed the baby as the rcom brooder is malfuctioning and won't go over 33C. Although this room is humid at around 60% and when i close it back up it shoots back up to 65-70%.
Likely you won't have a humidity problem. I don't here is Tennessee and I do not worry about opening and closing the incubator.

Sounds like all is going well. Sorry for not replying sooner.

What do you use for a hand feeding formula? I tried making formulas and have used Kaytee brand hand feeding formula which I much preferred. Do you spoon feed or syringe feed?

All eggs pip before the yolk sack is absorbed; perfectly normal.

Likely you won't have a humidity problem. I don't here is Tennessee and I do not worry about opening and closing the incubator.

Sounds like all is going well. Sorry for not replying sooner.

What do you use for a hand feeding formula? I tried making formulas and have used Kaytee brand hand feeding formula which I much preferred. Do you spoon feed or syringe feed?
Ah i see maybe these guys just take their sweet time absorbing the rest.

No problem, the chick has a really good feeding response so thats good.

I have used so many different types of formulas, from kaytee, nekton, zupreem, ect. Although for lovebirds i’ve used nutribird a21 as most lovebird breeders seem to use it. Right now I am also using electrolytes to replace the water, and bird probiotics (probizyme) to help out with good bacteria. Oh and I syringe feed, i find spoon feeding more messy and I cant see how much they have eaten.

Back
Top Bottom