When did your chicken start to lay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics
We have a mixed flock - 3 red stars, 3 black stars, 3 RIRs, and 1 Black Australorp. They all joined us as chicks April 23, 19. The first to lay was a red star, at 16 weeks. The last pullet in the flock laid her first egg at 20 weeks. In sum, all 10 pullets laid first eggs within 20 weeks. They were fed Scratch and Peck from day one, consume all organic fruit and veg and compost, and free range from 2-8 hours / day, depending on season.

As a new chicken keeper, I was not expecting eggs for at least 24 weeks. I spent a lot of time with them at that time, because they were just getting used to ranging around. I was so fascinated with watching them, and noticed this red star acting very different, like she was searching and desperate. I realized she was looking for a place to lay her first egg. I had covered the next boxes with burlap, and had to run to my shop to grab pliers to remove the tacks and open up one of the boxes, so that sweet little pullet had a place to lay. As I opened up the 'curtain' and held it for her, I swear, she looked at me, looked in the box, stepped in, and laid her little egg. It was such a cool experience! She was so proud, and the whole flock was involved -- especially the rooster.

That was back in August. I noticed the rooster became less and less involved, and now, he does not enter the hen house at all. I am still so fascinated with the egg laying experience. It amazes me every day. Sometimes I feel so bad removing their only purpose in this life to serve myself. But I have never felt so good about food I consume save for food coming from our garden.

Raising these little chickens has brought more satisfaction than I ever imagined. It has also brought more responsibility and time than I was prepared for. It has brought me closer to the natural order of things, and the flock teaches me more than I could have known. I love my little chickens! Thanks for starting the poll - so interesting to hear different experiences.
You are so welcome and thank you very much for voting! That sounds so exciting to get to" help your hen " lay her first egg :) You are so right on how bringing chickens into your life is one of the best things you can do:)

My current flock started later than any other flock I've had. The Buff O's, Red Sex Links and Barred Rocks were about 24 wks. I have a breed called Ideal something (there's a number in the name) that was supposed to be an early layer. They laid at about 22 wks. All my other past flocks with various varieties (Buff, Red, Dominique, Wyandotte) started at 16-18 wks. Ameracuanas have been later at around 22-24.

It just occurred to me that the earlier laying hens produced much smaller eggs for the first couple of weeks than those that started later.
Thanks for voting! Sound like you have had some pretty awesome flocks:)

My first egg was at 21 weeks laid by my black sex-linked. The 2nd egg was laid at 23 weeks by my production blue and the 3rd layer was my Delaware at 30 weeks. I only brooded 3 chicks this past year. Hope that helps.
Yes it does and thank you for voting! Plese tell your tag and tell friend about this poll!

This was difficult because my first hen to lay (red star) was 20 weeks, but my other three matured in the winter so started/will start when the daylight comes back this spring, so I chose the last option. My only other laying currently (an Australorp) started a few days ago, at 35 weeks, which honestly I thought would be later since it's still winter here. As for my other two, my black star looks physically mature with crest and all but hasn't started but my Rhode Island red still looks like a young pullet with an undeveloped crest. Not sure what that means, since she's supposed to be old enough by now. (She was the smallest when I bought them--they were all 14 weeks then.)
As a newbie, I find this interesting. My 2 slw are maturing in wintertime in southern Indiana, dusk around 5:30 pm, sunrise around 8 am, so maybe I shouldn't be calling them moochers. They are around 22-27 weeks old. I don't use artificial light so I'll just keep waiting.....

I can't vote since I'm still waiting. My two silver-laced Wyandottes are somewhere between 22 to 27 weeks old. They are showing more interest in the nest boxes & the ceramic eggs. I tried dropping casual hints like I enjoy fried chicken but they aren't easily scared. They just keep eating.
:lauI know the feeling! Don't worry it shouldn't be to long before they start! And Hey thanks for voting !

Back
Top Bottom