Egg production down...could it be the food?

chicorayner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
I have a small coop with only 4 hens (looking to grow this larger this year). The hens are 2 years old. Last year they produced daily beautiful eggs. During the winter the production decreased dramatically and I assumed it was the cold (I did put a heat lamp and insulated the coop). The production is still very very slow...sometimes only 2-3 eggs/week. They receive access to Layer Pellets and Fresh Water. We were feeding them scraps/veggies etc. (all healthy) and have decreased that thinking they were too full and not eating their layer pellets...but it appears that after two weeks of only pellets & scratch there is no change. Three of them are ISA Browns, the other is a Golden Wyondotte. I wonder if something is getting in the coop at night and stealing the eggs, i have secured any holes, but who knows if I'm missing something. It just seems so odd to me. Is there something I can feed them to get production back up? I have contacted the breeder and she says her hens lay for many more years...upwards of 5. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom