egg selling

i was thinking of checking grocery store prices, averaging them out, and going 50 cents lower than that. that way there’s an incentive to buy. how’s that sound?

That's probably too little.

There's no way a backyarder can compete with a commercial egg farm on cost so you need to compete on quality.

FRESH farm eggs command a premium price, not a discount.

I suggest you find out what people are selling eggs for at the local farmers' markets.

Weird. I wonder if that's common? I've never heard of such a thing!
No idea - I get the impression that many do so under the table, unlicensed, and have never bothered to actually read the relevant statutes.

In addition to having to sell mine bulk or from flats, I also have to prominently post a sign, at least 7" x 7" (they don't specify color, font, or point size) "These eggs have not been graded as to quality and weight." (Italics optional)

Oh, and I need to set up a three compartment sink to Wash, Rinse, Sanitize (with USDA approved products). Oddly, the state doesn't define "sink" anywhere, either, so I have some "flexibility" in how I meet that requirement.

Even in the 1950s, there were lots of variations between States, its only gotten worse with time

Participation is voluntary, yes, but its free to me - and the only way you can legally transport across state lines around here is from an NPIP flock. I'm very close to two borders, so...

Technically, NPIP is needed for some intrastate shipping, too - but only if your shipment is so big you have to stop at an Ag inspection station on a highway somewhere. Sean and Sarah buying a handful of mutts shouldn't need to.

I figured in for a penny, in for a pound...

But back to the original question - check your local requirements, check your local competition, check your costs, and price accordingly.

we’re in central MA and i’m planning on four dollars is that too much? what do you think would be the right amount?
Not a bad place to start. Easier to lower the price than raise it.
Much depends on what backyard eggs are selling for in your area,
and who might be interested in paying the 4 bucks.

Work and church or other groups you are involved in can be a great place to sell.
With only 9 birds you may only need 3-4-5 regular customers.

The best thing to do is keep track of when you start a new bag of feed, keep track of how many eggs you get while you are using that bag of feed. When the bag is finished, divided the price of the bag by how many dozens of eggs you got in that time period. This will give you an idea of what price you will break even on.
That's exactly how I track my costs/sales.

I haven't sold any eggs yet but we may. So far we get about 2 dozen a week and 1 dozen goes to my parents. Anyways. Keep egg carton costs in mind. I was thinking of asking $3 a dozen or $2.50 if they bring their own carton.

Also you may just want to check out your local zoning before you put out signs or something. Or just advertise online and make arrangements for pickup. I'm lucky enough to be on property that's zoned for agriculture and that allows me to sell what I produce or have a produce stand if I want. I also know that if I make over a certain dollar amount (I think it's $200) I would have to have a business license for it and charge taxes etc. But all of that sort of stuff depends on your local laws. Worth looking into depending on what exactly you want to do.

We have twelve laying hens and my kids and I don't eat eggs (!?), but also don't sell them.

We are a part of a mutual aid society, so we trade our eggs and citrus fruit for whatever local people are willing to give (so far, masks, skincare, homemade date vodka, egg cartons...) or just donate extras. To build up a customer base, you might try bartering your eggs for goods/services until you have enough people who will be willing to pay $2.50+++

Our local grocery store sells organic eggs for $4, so I think $2.50 is a great starting price until you get a customer base that knows your eggs are higher quality than commercial ones.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom