Emerald Pied Spalding ID please?

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
I have this 2 year old EPS that I need help sexing. Compared to all the other birds in it's pen that are all the same age,this one seems slightly taller than other hens,,but I'm assuming that's because it's a spalding.It's tail feathers are slightly longer than the other same aged hens in the pen,,but the tail isn't as long as all the other 2 year old males.it's kinda in between both.We took some pics,but it was getting late today and the color may not be the best contrast wise.the spur size is equal to the other males,not small nubs as on the same aged hens.

It has green feathers about the base of the neck and of the small amount of them,there is barring around the outside edge of these feathers.I've never seen it display but that don't mean much.Maybe out of these 5 pictures someone can positively sex this bird for me?

Last edited:
I hope it's a male,,if not it may waste half the season on 3 India Blue hens.Wonder if it's penned with nothing but hens,away from the big group they are now in,if "it" will begin acting like a male?

I'd say it's a male too, and cute one too ~
You could try penning him up with peahens if you want to see if he'll act like a male or not, if you want, I suppose.
But again, I'm pretty sure it's a male, I envy you for getting a bird like this one
hit.gif

a spalding silverpied , .male for sure...not sure its emerald or 3/4 green...lot of blue for a 3/4

even if he is 3/4 with blues hens you couldn't call the chicks emerald ,which is and out of time name.

a spalding silverpied , .male for sure...not sure its emerald or 3/4 green...lot of blue for a 3/4

even if he is 3/4 with blues hens you couldn't call the chicks emerald ,which is and out of time name.
And nothing Yellow in the face!

For this year ... it's a bit early ... 2 years!
The Spalding mature later than the Blues .... I bet this yearfemales did not interest him!

I have 9 Emerald Spalding from hatches of 2010 and 2011. The females have barring around the outside edge of the green feathers, the males do not. My 2010 male hatches have quite a few long eye feathers, even the 2011 male hatches have some eyes. I'll check length of tail feathers on females and look at both sex spurs today. By the way, I need to sell a few just in case anyone is in the market and local enough to pick them up (Texas Hill Country). Good safe homes only!!!! They are pets. Regardless of sex, it's gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom