My friend had various breeds of house chicken over the past maybe 30 years, until her last 3 died a day apart from Mareks. The mayor knew about and didn't bother her.

I miss my house chickens.
We started out with Peggy because she was dumb enough to run under a falling chunk of plywood and broke her leg. She watched tv with us, ate dinner with us(wandered around the house and sat on the dinner table's support beams), and she cuddled, especially when we were sick. But we decided she deserved the chance to have bird friends again and so she started going back out during the day and using the house as her coop. Eventually, she transitioned back into the coop. But she was the slowest of all the hens, and was the first one to fall victim to the weasel this past spring.
Then there was (F)Ella... originally I was positive that it was a hen... and then he started crowing and slowly became a very obvious roo. He was born with a rotated tibia and apparently more birth defects since he passed away at 9 months old, at about the time Peggy also died.
Really, I just miss having someone cuddly to say goodnight to every night before I climb into bed. Ella stayed in my room at night, since it was the easiest way to keep an eye on him, keep the cats and dogs away from him, and to keep him from waking the whole house up every morning(I would toss cheerios into his kennel(/coop) and it would make him chuckle a little "thank you" of sorts then shut up for about an hour...).

After tragedy struck in the form of the neighbors huskies killing 7 of our 8 chickens, I have a lone house chicken that I'm not fully prepared for having in the house. Her name is Taco and she is quite skittish but warming up to us. Personally, I'm traumatized by what happened so I can't imagine how she must feel after the whole ordeal.

I'm just looking for suggestions on chicken diapers and maybe some things I can make or buy for her to keep her busy.

She has taken to roosting on top of our [covered] parakeet cage and the keet seems to really like having a radiant heater at night.

I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep her happy/healthy. Outside was way easier as the poop didn't matter and she had friends and stuff to do.

She will eventually go back outside but we have to wait until we can get the whole crappy fence fixed and the chicken run redone.

Here’s my house chicken Flamingo but we’ve been calling her ming for short. I brought her inside to recover from loosing a leg, and now she has no interest in going outside without me. She has a modified rabbit crate in the living room but roams the house while we are home.
D1946DFD-008A-4846-8002-8A22484D10A1.jpeg

I had 2 house chickens one time but they were so weak they died shortly after getting them and trying to save them. I wish I had a house chicken now but all my chickens are healthy and don’t want to come inside.
I’m getting Seramas soon and will have them inside until incorporated into my flock which has a very biter EE

You can modify an anklet sock for a chicken diaper. I use this on my Bantam Cochin. I found some 2oz Solo cups that I put in the toe (the end on her butt) and I just switch out the cup every night. No poops on the floor any more! I found the pattern for the sock diaper on the FB page of Cotton the Incredible House Rooster

My friend Arline had house chickens for many years. She just cleaned up messes as they occurred. When she left to run errands the birds and her dog, slept inside the door and waited for her. Didn't poo till she came home.

She never wanted to mess with taking diapers off but, clean diapers on.

Back
Top Bottom