If they make it that far, we will do our best to record the "hatching" or whatever you would call it. :idunno It's alredy been interesting to see the development of the blastoderms, they are so much bigger! I hope we get to the devopled heart to watch it beat! It's so interesting to watch when candling so I can only imagine seeing it so clearly! :)

I thought the shell was necessary to supply calcium for bone development and as the calcium gets used, the shell becomes more porous and therefore easier to pip through.

Eta: "During development, the chick embryo mobilizes the calcium it needs from two extraembryonic sources, first the yolk and then the eggshell." Source

Last edited:
Okay, just so people have the information: Even if you keep the environment sterile, the chicks CANNOT progress to full-term because when it comes time for the bones to ossify, in ovo, the chicks utilize the calcium in the egg shell. These embryos will progress to day 18 maximum. The Japanese experiment that succeeded did so because calcium was supplemented and potentially, oxygen too. I can't remember...but yeah, this is not possible without manipulating the artificial environment to simulate the biochemical environment within the egg shell.

Well BAD NEWS # 5 gave out too!!! Pretty sad but it was interesting to see....
aww... :hugs

Okay, just so people have the information: Even if you keep the environment sterile, the chicks CANNOT progress to full-term because when it comes time for the bones to ossify, in ovo, the chicks utilize the calcium in the egg shell. These embryos will progress to day 18 maximum. The Japanese experiment that succeeded did so because calcium was supplemented and potentially, oxygen too. I can't remember...but yeah, this is not possible without manipulating the artificial environment to simulate the biochemical environment within the egg shell.
I wonder if it would work with just the aircell end removed. (I don't plan to test it though. just a thought)

I prefer time lapse videos. Anyone can put a chick on the floor and say it hatched without a shell.
I would love to do this but not sure how...my phone will take a time lapse video....but doesn't give me the ability to start where I leave off so I would have to find a way to connect little short videos....not sure I can do that from my phone. Not very tech savy...plus I would need to get the 6000 pictures I have on my phone off to free up some memory.

Back
Top Bottom