Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

I think feeling the keel bone would be the best way to tell if they are eating right. If it is very prominent and you can pinch it without feeling anything around it, they are too thin. If there is a lot of fat surrounding the keel, they are overweight. There should be a thin layer of fat around the keel, but you should be able to easily feel the keel bone.

For coop design, nothing special. You might want to include a low roost in case they want to roost, but have thick bedding so they can sleep on the ground if they choose.
This is the best way to tell the weight/over weight status of all birds. A "sharp" feeling bone = too thin. Dull blunt =OK, but can't feel a bone, or a dimple, = a fat bird, which is what the Cornish-X are bred to be!

I forgot cornish are prone to getting stressed and overheated when hot. @Weeg when planning your coop and run, make sure they have a shady spot!
Yes, an adult broiler could be stressed by a temp that is fine for a younger one. 80 degrees can be too much for them, even with shade. Misters, water pans and all the heat remedies come into play much sooner with these birds!

If they lay an egg, you will want to add calcium like oyster shell. Or switch to a layer feed. Some might use a higher protein layer feed, they will make big eggs! The all flock feed is a 17% protein feed and layer is usually 16. Cross that bridge when you get to it. You need to keep them lean and hungry until they are 20 weeks old before you worry about eggs!
Got it, I like Purina Layena, so can I switch to that if they start to lay?
I will stay focused on keeping them healthy until then though, they have to live that long before I can feed them that! haha

This is the best way to tell the weight/over weight status of all birds. A "sharp" feeling bone = too thin. Dull blunt =OK, but can't feel a bone, or a dimple, = a fat bird, which is what the Cornish-X are bred to be!
Got it, I will definelty use this method! Thanks @FuzzyCritters and @Parront!

Yes, an adult broiler could be stressed by a temp that is fine for a younger one. 80 degrees can be too much for them, even with shade. Misters, water pans and all the heat remedies come into play much sooner with these birds!
Okay, got it. I can get warm here in the summer, I think it got into the 90s last year in mis summer, but its usually between 65-80 during the heat of the season. I can bring a fan out, shade, water pans, and a sprinkler! I can position the sprinkler far a way so that they just get the misty drops that blow over there when it swings in their direction. Thanks so much!

Any insight on this post above?
@MysteryChicken, you have anything to add? I know you helped with pet Cornish X before.
I haven't heard of needing to supply them with extra vitamins before :idunno .

You can help with joint health by giving them Tart Cherry Extract capsules, 1-2 a day.

I think that the vitamins I was thinking of might be labeled "Broiler Booster"? Extra vitamins are in green food, as far as what I give my layers. Fast-growing meat birds are something you just have to watch carefully. Even for the group that you want to eat, it does not hurt to limit their food some, from what I have seen. I think raising just a few backyard style is the best way to go for broilers you plan to eat, as well as your pets! As an experiment, limiting feed for a couple and free-feeding the rest will be educational. ;) Let us know how you do! I am pulling for your future pullets! :lau

Okay, got it. I can get warm here in the summer, I think it got into the 90s last year in mis summer, but its usually between 65-80 during the heat of the season. I can bring a fan out, shade, water pans, and a sprinkler! I can position the sprinkler far a way so that they just get the misty drops that blow over there when it swings in their direction. Thanks so much!
You might see them panting, that is when you have to start your hot weather plan of action. They can die in one day of hot weather.
Edit to add: hot to them might seem like a nice day to you!

You might see them panting, that is when you have to start your hot weather plan of action. They can die in one day of hot weather.
Edit to add: hot to them might seem like a nice day to you!
Got it, It makes once that they would be easily stressed. I'll keep an eye on then when it starts to get above 60 degrees. I'll do sprinklers, extra shade, lots of cold water with ice cubes, and a fan if needed. Thanks so much guys!

Back
Top Bottom