Extra sleepy two day old chick keeps eyes closed a lot

when it stands with its eyes closed does it peep loudly

Ok so I’ve been monitoring the chick all day and he just started peeping loudly when he’s standing there with his eyes closed. He’s been doing it a lot for about 15 minutes now. Is that a bad thing?
TC asked because it was most likely going to happen soon. It is a bad thing but completely to be expected in the situation.

I hope you managed to get some chicken vitamins. I am also going to ask if you are sure you picked up chick crumbs from the store and not just chicken feed. The reason I ask is because you say you had to grind it down which indicates it might not be chick crumbs which is what they should be eating.

Weak chicks usually just need time to rest in warmth to finish developing a bit longer than the rest and vitamins helps this along. Sugar water provides a bit of energy but nothing substantial, it's good to use if a chick isn't eating but if a chick is eating sugar water will just be an added placebo. Vitamins on the other hand will give him a real boost to gain strength.
Think if you wake up in the morning would you rather have a) a scrambled egg or b) a bag of sugar. The bag of sugar will make you super alert, you will start bouncing up and down and it will seem like you have got the strength of superman, the egg will be more slow release carbs and will slowly give you energy for a brisk hike across the countryside, some people say two large eggs is enough to sustain a person for a day.
Which is the better choice? Hard to say, I would love to be as strong as superman but after the sugar rush wears off I always just end up sleepy. I've tried eating even more sugar but I still couldn't fly.

Anyway back on topic, once he has more strength he will eat and drink more and the more he eats and drinks the stronger he will get, he will always be a week behind the others in growth but that is why you give him extra vitamins to help him catch up. Every day needs to be a slow improvement but it won't happen overnight.

Last edited:
well I suggested sugar water because I've found it works for me she was already putting vitamins in the water the sugar water I have suggested saved multiple chicks of mine it gave them enough energy to start eating and drinking independently and their condition increased from there

Make sure you dip the tip of the beck in the water so it will drink you might have to do that a couple times if he is not drinking. I have a lot of chicks and chickens all the time and some chicks stand and some lay down they all end up healthy. Did you hatch them or buy them from a store/ hatchery. They are usally very tired after they hatch it should be very Energetic in a few days.

TC asked because it was most likely going to happen soon. It is a bad thing but completely to be expected in the situation.

I hope you managed to get some chicken vitamins. I am also going to ask if you are sure you picked up chick crumbs from the store and not just chicken feed. The reason I ask is because you say you had to grind it down which indicates it might not be chick crumbs which is what they should be eating.

Weak chicks usually just need time to rest in warmth to finish developing a bit longer than the rest and vitamins helps this along. Sugar water provides a bit of energy but nothing substantial, it's good to use if a chick isn't eating but if a chick is eating sugar water will just be an added placebo. Vitamins on the other hand will give him a real boost to gain strength.
Think if you wake up in the morning would you rather have a) a scrambled egg or b) a bag of sugar. The bag of sugar will make you super alert, you will start bouncing up and down and it will seem like you have got the strength of superman, the egg will be more slow release carbs and will slowly give you energy for a brisk hike across the countryside, some people say two large eggs is enough to sustain a person for a day.
Which is the better choice? Hard to say, I would love to be as strong as superman but after the sugar rush wears off I always just end up sleepy. I've tried eating even more sugar but I still couldn't fly.

Anyway back on topic, once he has more strength he will eat and drink more and the more he eats and drinks the stronger he will get, he will always be a week behind the others in growth but that is why you give him extra vitamins to help him catch up. Every day needs to be a slow improvement but it won't happen overnight.
I got electrolytes and probiotics to mix in his water yesterday. That’s all I could find at the store. It does say chick started on the food bag and I’ll show you how big they are in a picture next to a chick at the bottom. He was eating a lot this morning and he drank a little bit, should I make him an egg?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 5
Make sure you dip the tip of the beck in the water so it will drink you might have to do that a couple times if he is not drinking. I have a lot of chicks and chickens all the time and some chicks stand and some lay down they all end up healthy. Did you hatch them or buy them from a store/ hatchery. They are usally very tired after they hatch it should be very Energetic in a few days.
I have been doing that even though he doesn’t like it. I hatched them this Friday and Saturday but I can’t remember what day he hatched.

I scrambled him an egg but he won’t eat it. Is there anything I can do to make him eat it? :(
image.jpg

just kind of pry open his beak gently and put a little in there and maybe he will swallow some also you could put some warm water over some chick crumble and soften it up and try to put that in his mouth also

just kind of pry open his beak gently and put a little in there and maybe he will swallow some also you could put some warm water over some chick crumble and soften it up and try to put that in his mouth also
I tried but I couldn’t do it. I moved him in with the two chicks that have sprayed leg because the other chicks are getting so big and rough, and I thought maybe if he’s meeting chicks he hasn’t seen before it’ll make him interested.

Back
Top Bottom