Eye injury

SandyT

Hatching
May 8, 2018
I have a chick that is about 10 weeks old that has a knot growing in her eye to the point that her eyelid is stretched out, is there anything I can do to help her, I believe one of the other chicks pecked her in the eye

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your pullet. Do you have a picture of the eye? How long has this been going on? Any symptoms of a respiratory disease, such as sneezing, watery eyes, rattly breathing? Can you go to your local feed store, and ask for a tube of Terramcyin eye ointment? A vet can prescribe Neosporin eye ointment. I have used plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment in an emergency, but the eye ointment is safer to use in the eye.

Not supposed to be under hatch
Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your pullet. Do you have a picture of the eye? How long has this been going on? Any symptoms of a respiratory disease, such as sneezing, watery eyes, rattly breathing? Can you go to your local feed store, and ask for a tube of Terramcyin eye ointment? A vet can prescribe Neosporin eye ointment. I have used plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment in an emergency, but the eye ointment is safer to use in the eye.
It started about 2 weeks ago her eye had drainage to start with and I cleaned it but a few days later it started to swell, I have picture but couldn't figure out how to upload to this site, I know very little about smart phones

It looks like it's about to pop, other wise she is healthy eating good, the eye is still draining because that side of her body is dirty like she is rubbing her eye on her feathers, I will go to tractor supply tomorrow and see if they have the medicine

It would be best to see a picture. Is the eyelid or the area around it mostly swollen, as we sometimes see in a respiratory disease? That sort of thing can be due to a sinus infection or respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Sometimes something gets into the eye and causes an infection. If there is drainage or gunk in the eye, clean it before putting the ointment into the eye twice a day.

It would be best to see a picture. Is the eyelid or the area around it mostly swollen, as we sometimes see in a respiratory disease? That sort of thing can be due to a sinus infection or respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Sometimes something gets into the eye and causes an infection. If there is drainage or gunk in the eye, clean it before putting the ointment into the eye twice a day.
I think it's an infection, her eyeball has about disappeared from the swelling it's almost like an abscess, her breathing is fine when I go to pick her up she tries to peck my hand, I will try to figure out how to upload a picture

Back
Top Bottom