BokBokBadger

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
Hi everyone, first time poster here (or any forum for that matter) but I've been a long time lurker! I'm absolutely devastated today and wanted to maybe get some feedback from you knowledgeable people. Even if it's to tell me I was wrong in what I did, hopefully I'll get some closure to allow me to heal and try again.

BIT OF A BACK STORY:
I've wanted to successfully incubate something since I was a small child, always bringing eggs home that'd fallen from nests (usually broken but I lived in hope) and even convinced my mum to let me put some free range chicken eggs under my desk lamp which obviously was a huge fail and heartbreaking disappointment for childhood me.
Since then I've grown up (somewhat 🤣) and have three allotment plots with some ex battery chickens and two Aylesbury duck ladies. We originally had three ladies and a glorious Silver Appleyard drake but he was taken along with one of his ladies around 7 weeks ago by a hungry fox (hungry enough to take on electric fencing). We didn't realise until two weeks later that we could've attempted to incubate some eggs to maybe carry on the drake's legacy. Knowing it was a long shot (eggs were then at least 14days old), we hastily bought a bator and popped nine eggs in that had been sitting around in the shed since the event. We lovingly turned them, kept the little humidity dish filled up with water and candled them after day 10. We were left with three viable eggs which was more than we could've hoped for! One gave up on day 26.

MAIN POINT:
It got to day 30 and the air sacs had looked perfect before but now they looked as though they had black shadows across most of them and when the egg was moved you could see something swishing around like liquid inside, this was visible without candling! I panicked and paced all day, reading everything possible on here and came to the conclusion that they might have broken their yolks or the membrane or that the humidity had been too high and they were drowning. I made a safety hole at the very highest point of the air sac and immediately saw yellow/clear liquid coming out of the tiny pinprick hole. Through all of this the eggs were rocking very gently and I could see what looked somewhat like internal pipping movements but it was so hard to tell with the dark shadows and liquid swishing around 😔 I decided to open the air cell. What I saw then was that the sac had been full of the yellow/clear runny liquid and there was also a lot of brown liquid around the edges. The ducklings appeared to have pipped internally with their egg teeth but their membrane was SO sticky, stuck to them like glue and solidifying, it looked like they couldn't get through. One was malpositioned, her head was up the other end and somehow the membrane wasn't attached to the side of the egg at all, just stuck to her as though it's come away and the air sac had extended across the side of the shell. I applied coconut oil to the exposed membrane which was clear and had lots of veins and decided to leave them for a few hours. I couldn't wait a few hours, it was so distressing, they were desperately trying to push through and they looked shrink wrapped although I couldn't find a picture on here that matched what I saw, they just looked like they were tightly wrapped in cling film. I decided to widen the very small hole they'd made so that their beaks could get through, cleared away the sticky stuff from their nostrils and beaks, reapplied coconut oil and left them alone for two hours. The one who had been malpositioned was very still, she made very few yawning/chewing faces and the sticky stuff on her head was rock solid. The other guy was yawning, trying to stretch, chewing but there was no peeping from either of them. I came back two hours later to reapply the oil and they had passed away. Their membranes were clear, veins had receeded but were rock solid. It was like they were stuck in concrete. It broke me. I knew it had to be my fault, something I did. I opened them up because I had to see if there was anything else that might be caused it. They were fully formed, gorgeous little black and yellow babies 😭 the only things I noticed that seemed unusual were that their heads were huge in comparison to their bodies, their eyes were shut, most of the membrane on one side of the egg was completely stuck to the shell and the remaining area was full of dark brown liquid with some of the shell looking black. There was no nasty smell and their yolk sacs were absolutely huge, looked like they were three separate blobs for each duck and the one who was malpositioned, hers had definitely ruptured somehow.
I'm absolutely riddled with guilt and the deepest sadness I've felt in a long time. If someone could shed some light on what I did wrong, please do, I need to hear it! I know I should've got a humidity reader, I know I probably should've waited longer, I made so many mistakes and I don't feel I'll ever feel ok about it. I'm now torn between giving away the bator and brooder that was set up ready or forcing myself to learn and try again. Can't even stand to look at the bator so it's gone in a cupboard and the brooder is out of sight. Ugh.
Please help
If you've read this far, thank you so, so much 💚

I’m not a hatching expert at all!!

I would like to say, don’t give up, wait till the experts here give some ideas, and try again. IMO, having a successful result after a tragedy, is the best medicine to help get past it. Read the hatching thread and as many post as you can find, read what the resident experts on hatching here will be saying here soon. Absorb all the info and set out to try again, maybe look around online find some eggs, from a nice drake you like, and start a new line, you never know it might be the best line you have ever seen.

I’m not a hatching expert at all!!

I would like to say, don’t give up, wait till the experts here give some ideas, and try again. IMO, having a successful result after a tragedy, is the best medicine to help get past it. Read the hatching thread and as many post as you can find, read what the resident experts on hatching here will be saying here soon. Absorb all the info and set out to try again, maybe look around online find some eggs, from a nice drake you like, and start a new line, you never know it might be the best line you have ever seen.
Thank you so much! That's a wonderful idea 💜 I would really love to try again and it may help to have a look at some other potential lines. I'll hold off on doing anything until I'm fully prepared, hopefully with some insight as to what went wrong. And knowing I'm a part of this group now is very comforting 🙏
Thanks again

Our allotment neighbour has an Aylesbury drake and have said we could borrow him if we wanted to try again, he's a lovely drake 😍 proper chunky with a big curl on his tail! But I can't bear to think about retrying without learning everything I can first

Back
Top Bottom