Family member wants to "borrow" a chicken for event.

Tsmithn21

Hatching
Aug 23, 2017
A family member just got ahold of me and asked if she could borrow one if my chickens for an event at a college where she works. I'm a little hesitant and wanted to ask all of you. I currently have 6 hens in my flock and they just started laying. Should I let her borrow one? Could there be any negatives to this? Thanks for any help!

Wherever the family member takes her there could be chicken sicknesses. Find out where and what the event is and then decide.

What about stress to the chicken, guess that's one thing I'd be concerned with. Chickens don't take to change lightly (at least, that's been my experience) and she may not appreciate being separated from the flock, put into a strange environment, etc.

This would be an easy 'no' for me, but that's just me. Ask her if there are other ways you can help like providing chicken photos, videos or other info.

My answer would be no. If this relative does not have her own chickens, then she is not invested enough in poultry husbandry for me to trust her with my birds off my property. I have taken birds to a school to give a "lecture" to 4 first grade classes regarding incubation, general poultry care and the relationship of chickens in the management of a farm. Interesting experience both years I did it.

If you went with this relative, this might be an option, though time consuming, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't have enough time to invest in such things now.

:goodpost: I'm with ALL the Gardener said. (I just cant call you lazy):lau
Another thing to consider also is an inexperienced person handling a chicken. Chicken poop contain salmonella. Need I elaborate liabilities from Philadelphia Liars. Gosh I just kant speal those peeps that practis law.

Joining the majority, I would say no. Of course, I don't know your family member, so I can't say anything if he/she's responsible or not.

My biggest concern would be, as previously stated several times, diseases such as coccidiosis and salmonella transmitting through inproper handling and care.

Along with that are minor concerns including stress, mishandling the bird, and other issues.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom