Favorite Dog Breeds

Poodles are great! Very smart. As a dog groomer though I just feel it’s good to point out the grooming requirements for poodles and poodle mix breeds. If this is a breed you’re interested in make sure to call up some grooming shops to find out the average cost of grooming(varies by area). And realize they will require grooming every 4-12 weeks depending on the style you choose and how much maintenance you’re willing to do at home. A lot of people vastly underestimate this expense with their first poodle.
But they’re great dogs. The only thing I dislike about them is their tendency to have very bad teeth in my experience. Usually very sweet and trainable though.
I plan go do the grooming myself, and start from an early age. I'll brush his/her teeth also.

I plan go do the grooming myself, and start from an early age. I'll brush his/her teeth also.
Watch those ears, too. Poodle ears are almost as bad as Cocker Spaniel ears. They need regular cleaning and attention to stay dry and infection-free. They can be a real pain-in-the-neck to keep looking nice, but they are SO worth the effort!

Watch those ears, too. Poodle ears are almost as bad as Cocker Spaniel ears. They need regular cleaning and attention to stay dry and infection-free. They can be a real pain-in-the-neck to keep looking nice, but they are SO worth the effort!
Oh yes I will. I had a Cocker before that I cleaned the ears regularly, and also cleaned the ears my Doberman regularly.

They are bred to move livestock, generally cattle, so they can be loud, pushy, dominant dogs, so you have to make sure you set boundaries when they are pups and reaffirm them or else they will test your leadership, and take over. A dominant Aussie can turn aggressive towards people and other dogs. Also be prepared to exercise them daily. They will run for hours when younger. A tired Aussie is a good Aussie.

There are different lines of Aussies. Working lines can be hyper. Show lines are bigger and more easy going. Aussies shed and they bark. Be ready for that. They come in a range of sizes and coat length. The standard doesn't have a weight range, so they can range from 35 pounds to 85 pounds plus.

That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is they are loyal, smart, goofy dogs with a sense of humor. They are clowns. You will definitely laugh, and never be alone as they follow you everywhere. They also are gorgeous. Mine ignore small animals, and get along well with them. They also love to play for most of their lives. They are generally long lived, 12-16 years on average.

I keep saying no more, because they can be challenging, but than I think who am I gonna have conversations with? Aussies can understand full sentences I swear, and are fun to have around. :)
My last poodle understood sentences, too. I would ask my son to go sit down and the dog would do it.

Oh yes I will. I had a Cocker before that I cleaned the ears regularly, and also cleaned the ears my Doberman regularly.
No amount of cleaning and medication did much to help my last poodle's ears. We tried everything, even allergy testing, and had help from the vet. He had lost most of his hearing before he died. He was a wonderful dog though.

My best dog ever was an American Staffordshire.
Smart, loyal, gentle, helped herd the ducks and geese to the barn in snow storms, kept watch on my son at night during asthma attacks, kept a burglar out of the house. I really could not have found a better dog. I miss her.

Currently my pit/husky mix is pretty darn awesome.
Gentle, loyal, picks up on my medical issues before I do, smart as can be, loves to play ball, awesome snuggler.
:love

I love all my dogs but the pits/terriers are very special to me.

We love our Staffy too. As new chicken owners, we are taking our time introducing him to them, but he has been so good with all the kittens I have fostered over the years, my only concern regarding the chickens is really more about how THEY might react to HIM! (I am attaching a pic of our Staffy with one of the foster kittens 1E1B39C9-82FC-416A-9425-224B823BF44A.jpeg - the absolute most eager to please pup we've ever owned)

We love our Staffy too. As new chicken owners, we are taking our time introducing him to them, but he has been so good with all the kittens I have fostered over the years, my only concern regarding the chickens is really more about how THEY might react to HIM! (I am attaching a pic of our Staffy with one of the foster kittensView attachment 1902531 - the absolute most eager to please pup we've ever owned)

Awwww!! I want to pat his big ole head.

My current pit mix is super sweet. Right now she has her head across my foot.

IMG_20180703_072015.jpg

No amount of cleaning and medication did much to help my last poodle's ears. We tried everything, even allergy testing, and had help from the vet. He had lost most of his hearing before he died. He was a wonderful dog though.
Wow, I looked up possible health conditions of poodles and the list is not short, but any dog can have any health condition.

I'm being very careful in searching for a reputable breeder and have very small list of ones to contact within driving distance.

I read also that the Toy Poodle can have tooth problems because of a small mouth. Maybe because of the small mouth it's difficult to get a toothbrushing done thoroughly. Something to talk to the breeder about.

Back
Top Bottom