Favorite Dog Breeds

They are bred to move livestock, generally cattle, so they can be loud, pushy, dominant dogs, so you have to make sure you set boundaries when they are pups and reaffirm them or else they will test your leadership, and take over. A dominant Aussie can turn aggressive towards people and other dogs. Also be prepared to exercise them daily. They will run for hours when younger. A tired Aussie is a good Aussie.

There are different lines of Aussies. Working lines can be hyper. Show lines are bigger and more easy going. Aussies shed and they bark. Be ready for that. They come in a range of sizes and coat length. The standard doesn't have a weight range, so they can range from 35 pounds to 85 pounds plus.

That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is they are loyal, smart, goofy dogs with a sense of humor. They are clowns. You will definitely laugh, and never be alone as they follow you everywhere. They also are gorgeous. Mine ignore small animals, and get along well with them. They also love to play for most of their lives. They are generally long lived, 12-16 years on average.

I keep saying no more, because they can be challenging, but than I think who am I gonna have conversations with? Aussies can understand full sentences I swear, and are fun to have around. :)
ok thankyou i will make sure to set boundaries when it is a puppy
And am prepared to exercise it daily the dog that i have right now barks a lot already so i dont think i will mind that
Thankyou so much for the information and i am so excited to get one:)

ok thankyou i will make sure to set boundaries when it is a puppy
And am prepared to exercise it daily the dog that i have right now barks a lot already so i dont think i will mind that
Thankyou so much for the information and i am so excited to get one:)
You are welcome. I like talking about dogs as much as chickens. Hopefully you enjoy the breed too. :)

do you have any training tips for a australian shepherd i currently do not own one (i have a German shepherd hound mix i think :confused:) but have researched a lot about the breed and have fallen in love with it:)
Aussies are great dogs, but like Border Collies and some of the other herding breeds, you need to think long and hard before taking the plunge. Make sure you have the time and energy to devote to some serious training early on and serious exercise for life. If not, then you're best admiring them in someone else's yard. Australian Shepherds need near-constant mental stimulation to avoid boredom ... a bored Aussie is a destructive Aussie ... and they're so smart that unlearning bad behaviors is harder than teaching the right ones from the start. So think hard before you get an Aussie. If you're up to the challenge, they make awesome companions. If not, then it's not fair to either of you to have to rehome your dog because no one had the time or persistence to properly train it.

Aussies are great dogs, but like Border Collies and some of the other herding breeds, you need to think long and hard before taking the plunge. Make sure you have the time and energy to devote to some serious training early on and serious exercise for life. If not, then you're best admiring them in someone else's yard. Australian Shepherds need near-constant mental stimulation to avoid boredom ... a bored Aussie is a destructive Aussie ... and they're so smart that unlearning bad behaviors is harder than teaching the right ones from the start. So think hard before you get an Aussie. If you're up to the challenge, they make awesome companions. If not, then it's not fair to either of you to have to rehome your dog because no one had the time or persistence to properly train it.
i have thought about it for about a year and i am prepared to spend a lot of time training it and exercising it we plan to buy a farm with 5+ acres so lots of room to run and play :)

Basset hounds and labradoodles(idunno how to spell...)
are my f.a.v.o.r.i.t.e.
Both dog breeds werent supposed to shed.. both she'd like CRAZY.
I love my basset hound because who doesn't like chubby dogs, short feet and flappy ears? And labs are great because they are so loyal and faithful to their masters.
I love my dogs.

Anyone with experience with Anatolian Shepards? I'm thinking of fostering / adopting a rescue. Thoughts?
They are great dogs. They insist on being close to their people. Like all livestock guardian dogs they are smart and are independent thinkers. The are also famous for the "Anatolian lean". They will lean against you. I am not sure if it is a mark of affection or their way of demonstrating that you belong to them. Maybe both.

About the best dog I ever had was a Chihuahua Toy Manchester cross of all things. He was a big dog in a small package. He comported himself with the dignity and confidence of a big dog but he weighed much less than ten pounds. He was never nervous or yappy and he was a great friend and companion.

Shelties are a favorite of mine. Have two- love them both very much. They're gentle, talkative, fuzzy monsters.
Great Danes are awesome but it's a shame of their health problems, the Anatolian Sheppard can be very friendly, I've met some very nice Pit Bulls... etc.
On the smaller side, I love Corgis and Basset Hounds!

Here are some pictures of Charlie and Sammie.

Charlie:
charlie.JPG Charlie1.jpg charlie4.JPG charlienose.JPG Charlie2.jpg charlieg.JPG

Sammie:
DSCN0039.JPG DSCN0037.JPG DSCN0034.JPG sambun.JPG sammie.JPG

They are great dogs. They insist on being close to their people. Like all livestock guardian dogs they are smart and are independent thinkers. The are also famous for the "Anatolian lean". They will lean against you. I am not sure if it is a mark of affection or their way of demonstrating that you belong to them. Maybe both.
Thank you. I'm familiar with the big dog lean. My swissy /pyr mix puts all 125 lbs into the lab. Thinking of getting a sib for my big dog. Glad to hear Anatolians like their people. I was worried they would only want to be a lgd, but a companion pet as well.

Back
Top Bottom