February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I thought I would share some pics, my son wanted to give me an early start and these arrived yesterday with no notice.
20210210_183614.jpg

17 little fluf balls

I just candled again! I pulled out ten of my eggs because they were duds, and all of my friends eggs were duds except two.

One of my eggs had a bloodring, by the rest look healthy! So far, I am very pleased with this 'bator!

I have 15 healthy eggs:
2 from my friends, probably mixes
8 silkies
and 5 silkie/orpingtons

3 of 7 in lockdown have internally pipped! Expecting hatch sometime tomorrow. Only one of my silkies ended up with fertile eggs. She is white and so is the roo, so likely all will be white. He is likely gold based white and the hen is silver based white. Will be interesting to see what pops out! Hoping for a random partridge or black, which can happen with recessive white silkies. 😊

Sad day over here. I by accident didn’t completely press through the menu on my Brinsea when I turned the turner and cooling function off last night in preparation for lockdown and it stopped heating 😐 Eggs were cold tonight when I went to candle them. No warnings went off and the fan didn’t stop, so I had no clue this was happening during the day. I turned the incubator back on in the hopes that maybe a few will pull through (room temp is 21.5 Celsius). It now says there was a power outage? Which I know isn’t the case. I had it in a nook where I couldn’t read the menu without leaning in and using the flashlight on my phone as I wanted to keep the, dark, so I guess I won’t ever be doing that again 😢 I’ve started a thread so others know to not make the same mistake as I did.

I will keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom