Feeding a mixed flock?

kealoni

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2016
I have chickens,ducks,geese and turkeys that are all diffrent ages.what can i feed them that is safe for everbody?

I use a pelleted All Flock Ration. I have a separate bowl of oyster shells available free choice for the laying birds.

Turkeys and ducks can have troubles swallowing a crumble so it's best to find a pelleted feed. A gamebird ration can work too.

Hi.
frow.gif

I don't have all those birds. But I use a flock raiser with 20% protein for my mixed age and gender chickens. It is my understanding that turkeys and game birds need higher protein than chickens. So that might be a good option. Seem like I read somewhere that geese or ducks need more **selenium**. I know it was one of the vitamins or minerals but can't really remember which one, so you would need to look into it further. It was a review for the feed from someone with those other birds.

Interestingly, there is a ton of difference in the feed you find. I have 2 LFS. At one the game bird ration is 28% protein, while at the other is like 20%.

I spent hours reading labels. There are two product I know of called "all flock" or "flock raiser". Different brands and slightly different nutrition. Old hens suggestion may be more valid than mine since she actually raises other fowl.
smile.png

Sounds like a mess at your place.
wink.png
I haven't got the guts to try ducks yet. And now I'm thinking of trying quail.
hide.gif
Yes, chicken math led to goat math and I'm afraid where else it could lead...

You don't want to come to my house than, we are way past chicken math here, and I get goat math too.
1f600.png

You don't want to come to my house than, we are way past chicken math here, and I get goat math too.
1f600.png
I saw your response on another thread by one of the jennifers having issues with her goats jumping the fence. My biggest fear was the fence before getting mine. After seeing that thread I knew I had to get something bigger that would have a harder time clearing my 4 foot fences.

My 2 Nubian cross weathers were SOOOO loud when I first brought them home from their mamas. But they adjust nicely and are sooo cute and sweet! Their names are Homer and El Barto. I guess I've been waiting since last July for a good chance to tell you that you helped my decision and comfort moving forward.
highfive.gif
So much conflicting info, I had them scouring on grain. Our final outcome is grass hay and pasture only. They refuse to eat most of the alf alfa hay, so I quit buying it because it was kinda pricey to be using for bedding.

How awesome is it that your animals are there for the long haul! Some of my chickens are livestock not pet. There are a few girls that get to retire here though. It was a tough decision and wasn't sure I could follow through. But knowing we are doing the right thing for us helps a lot.
smile.png
All of my chicken (except the ones I know right away can't stay) have names. That was 48 most recently. And even my company that comes over can identify most of the individuals by their names.
tongue.png
I hang out for hours on end, even on bad weather days, with all of my animals and even know their personalities.

I was thinking about turkeys, but don't want to have more housing on my property. And read keeping them together could be detrimental to the turkeys. The toms are so cool looking. Bet it cost a pretty penny to feed those boys.

The more farming type stuff I have done the more I realize food actually isn't that pricey compared to land, feed, livestock, seed, or time.
old.gif

It is definitely cheaper to buy food from the store, our first turkey cost us hundreds of dollars.

I have found that turkeys are too aggressive with chickens so I keep them separately. They are certainly a different sort of bird that wants to know everything that is going on, so mine are locked up unless I want them out and are penned when they start making trouble.

Goats evolved in mostly poor vegetation areas and are designed to convert poorer feeds to energy. They suffer on rich diets. They are more like deer in that they like to browse. Mine love tree trimmings, especially willows. They do think they are royalty and should be waited on.

I read so much about wethers and stones, but mine have never had any. A good quality grass hay or pasture, and occasionally a bit of corn in winter. Baking soda and a good goat mineral and they should do fine.

Glad to hear when I'm actually helpful. Goats are fun. I love Nubian, though I don't have any currently. Goats are like big dogs with hooves.

Can I use starter/grower dumor that is 20% and provide oyster shell on the side

Back
Top Bottom