Feeding rooster?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Layira, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Layira

Layira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    I've never seen anything mentioned about feeding roosters in a flock separate from the hens... so I was wondering, will my cockerel be able to eat layer feed or do I need a separate feed for him? Because once my young pullets start laying, the only feed in the pen (other than the occasional added scraps) will be layer food, as opposed to having the grower feed for my younger girls (which my cockerel eats too) and the layer feed for my big girls.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had roosters as chicks on up to adult size. I fed them the same feed as the pullets. I feed my current rooster layer feed and cracked corn, occasional scraps.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My roosters get what the hens get, they also get about 6 hrs of free range and they find all sorts of goodies scratching in the woods.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh yeah....he'll eat whatever they eat and it will not hurt him. Trust me, if he was going to lay an egg I would know by now... LOL

5. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed mine same as the hens, but some of the game bird keepers will have something different?

6. Layira

Layira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Ah ok, that's good to know. lol phew! Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The only thing I ever worry about is allowing young cockerels to have layer feed. I personally don't allow my boys below 4 months of age to eat layer feed simply because their body shouldn't have that much calcium and sorts, plus it needs the extra protein, but that's just me.

8. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    don't know if this is right, but I read last year that the calcium can cause liver damage. Don't know how long it takes. after I read that I switched to Flock Raiser and Oyster shell on the side. Up to that time my roosters were getting layer feed have not seen any harm.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I had 8-year old roosters going strong and all they were getting is layer pellets aside from what they got outside on the range. If they hadn't run afoul of a weasel I'd expect I'd still have them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by