feeding your chickens...chicken??

Do any of you remember that plane crash where the survivors eat some of the dead passengers to stay alive, when they eventually got rescued some said they got supernatural tendencies and were kind of super-human?
Well I'm aiming for that with my chickens lol. :yesss:

Companion birds (parrots) certainly enjoy cooked chicken. I don't think I've ever intentionally fed any to the chickens, but it wouldn't bother me to do so.

Hey guys! I know this is a old post, but I'm the OP so I feel I have a right to post here. ;) Well, since April 23rd I have never given my chickens chicken meat. I have given them tuna fish and some whole minnows - but I don't think I'll ever be giving them chicken meat in their whole lives. I just feel....weird about it. I like to think - "Would I eat another human being? NO. "

So why should I let my chickens are one of their kind? It grosses me out. Especially chickens eating their own flock members! Ain't that a little weird??? :confused: I don't care what other people choose to do... your chickens. "To each his own", as they say. Thanks for all the tips guys! :)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody feeds their own live chickens, chicken meat. Does anyone think its wrong or something like that? I'm not feeding any to my chickens until I see what people think.

Thank you.
I don't think there will be any effect. I'm imagining if you feed a fish, fish meat. he would not know. Besides, Fish eats fish, right? I don't know about chickens though...

Chickens are scavengers. They will eat anything they can find or catch and on occasion that includes each other.

So why should I let my chickens are one of their kind? It grosses me out. Especially chickens eating their own flock members! Ain't that a little weird??? :confused: I don't care what other people choose to do... your chickens.

Well I wouldn't feed my chickens chicken either (like you said, it's just too... cannibalistic for me) but it doesn't stop them from trying to eat their own flock members. With my first group of chicks, one passed away overnight in an accident and the other two obviously decided to start eating her. I don't think hubby noticed and I never mentioned that to him, he'd be way too grossed out.

I don't believe there are any health problems associated with what is essentially cannibalism.
An awful lot is going to depend on your beliefs.
What would you think if I asked you to eat another human being?
Please don't write 'oh but that's different'. ;)

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease, is a neurodegenerative disease of cattle. ... Cattle are believed to have been infected by being fed meat-and-bone meal (MBM) that contained the remains of cattle who spontaneously developed the disease or scrapie-infected sheep products.

I hate to copy wikipedia but in this case its the same info as everywhere.
In other words, feeding animals by-products or products of animals, has a potential to lead to bad things. I can use a saw with my eyes closed but eventually I'll lose another finger. That's my take on this topic.

Maybe I'm missing something in the details about cooking temps, meat handling, etc. Even so, it's not worth the risk for me.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease, is a neurodegenerative disease of cattle. ... Cattle are believed to have been infected by being fed meat-and-bone meal (MBM) that contained the remains of cattle who spontaneously developed the disease or scrapie-infected sheep products.

I hate to copy wikipedia but in this case its the same info as everywhere.
In other words, feeding animals by-products or products of animals, has a potential to lead to bad things. I can use a saw with my eyes closed but eventually I'll lose another finger. That's my take on this topic.

Maybe I'm missing something in the details about cooking temps, meat handling, etc. Even so, it's not worth the risk for me.
Yes, I'm a UK citizen and was in the UK at the time.
Getting on my motorbike and heading sown to the village has the potential to lead to bad things as does just about any activity one cares to mention.
As a progressive society we attempt to limit the risks through legislation and better management.
If I stopped doing everything that may potentially harm me I may as well get into my coffin; that is of course providing no one has discovered that the wood and finishing products used are carcinogenic.:)

Back
Top Bottom