Fermenting chicken feed, Good idea?

Have you heard of fermented feed?

• Total voters
It needs a higher level of water than feed, stirred daily, or it could mold instead of ferment.
Stirred daily, yes.

Water on top.. meh.. I don't see the logic behind it! And it had zero relevance for me.. and also shown by folks who've done it long term on several of the link I posted. :cool:

It molds if the bacteria runs out of "feed"... Noting I already also stated there is a difference between mold and scoby.. btw.. a LITTLE mold.. stirred into the FF and refreshed a bit.. usually just stays FF.. you MIGHT be surprised at what's allowed to go into our commercial canned and processed foods! Don't look it up. :sick

Simple formula to use with FF.. twice as much water as feed.

My "simple" formula is put feed in jar, add enough water to cover by about 1/2" in winter, up to 1" in summer, stir, and start serving the next day. But that might not work for someone in a different climate, doing bigger batches, or using a different feed.

Stirred daily, yes.

Water on top.. meh.. I don't see the logic behind it! And it had zero relevance for me.. and also shown by folks who've done it long term on several of the link I posted. :cool:

It molds if the bacteria runs out of "feed"... Noting I already also stated there is a difference between mold and scoby.. btw.. a LITTLE mold.. stirred into the FF and refreshed a bit.. usually just stays FF.. you MIGHT be surprised at what's allowed to go into our commercial canned and processed foods! Don't look it up. :sick
Have you ever fermented pickles..? Guess what happens when they do not remain submerged..? and then what happens to you and your loved ones if consumed.. The white "mold" (SCOBY) on top is good.. the green mold 'actual mold' is bad.. the red mold is deadly. FF is the exact same process.. Do you really want to chance poisoning your babies. Russian Roulette is a very popular game in The Deer Hunter.

My "simple" formula is put feed in jar, add enough water to cover by about 1/2" in winter, up to 1" in summer, stir, and start serving the next day. But that might not work for someone in a different climate, doing bigger batches, or using a different feed.
Don't have a five gallon jar.. perhaps a lid on your jar precludes the mold. Great! Like pickling, a lid or airlock on the jar will preclude the mold.. It is necessary to burp occasionally if only a lid or it'll go kaboom.. and you get to clean it up! My formula has experience behind it. As you say, it depends.. not wearing any. I use crumbles and have used pellets, works the same. Back in the day I used actually mash before the advent of Farm Stores from the feed mill.. Today there is one feed mill, it's old and falling down. and the owner/operator is as old and ill. Open hours are a crapshoot.. all others have been demolished.. Sad. For all others.. I use five gallon food grade buckets available from your farm store. I mix one and one half feed too three of well water.. most times water covers the feed even after absorption. 'EXPERIENCE!' Covered loosely with a top set on top, not sealed. To keep the schmutz out and mice.. drown a few. It is important to have an inch or so to protect the FF.. as in pickles. Think!

Third day.. or you are just soaking grain, which is good.. but not FF.. Depends, all jokes aside. Hot Summer maybe two days, three days the average, winter sometimes the forth day. A little white schmutz as in spider legs means it's working. FF

I've just recently in the last few weeks started giving my ladies fermented feed and they love it! They have access to their crumble all day, then in the evening when they go back to the run/coop they wait for the real goods, lol. I purchased some of these as they fit perfectly on hardware cloth. I fill with the fermented feed and remove it when they're done, no mess and easy breezy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-074243.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-074243.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 2
I've just recently in the last few weeks started giving my ladies fermented feed and they love it! They have access to their crumble all day, then in the evening when they go back to the run/coop they wait for the real goods, lol. I purchased some of these as they fit perfectly on hardware cloth. I fill with the fermented feed and remove it when they're done, no mess and easy breezy
Last couple days.. I have been giving the poor fatherless dogs dry crumbles.. I have been ill.. Covert 19 or China Virus or just old injury which incapacitated me.. Literally.. Looking to call Hospice and a Morphine drip button.. That bad.. better now. They won't eat it and the water freezes in this subzero too single digits on a heated pedestal.. Second week going on three.. I give them scratch before I enter the run.. keeps them from underfoot.. literally. Stepped on one and she still limps. FF is all they will eat now.. and water was not an issue in winter. It is now.. Freeze's.. I cover my FF to keep out the schmutz and drowning mice.. This is important to keep out the harmful 'MOLD'.. Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom