Fertility Issues

dsfrango

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Stafford Springs
Hello, I have been experiencing some fertility issues with both of my Sumatra roosters. I have definitely hatched out a few from both roosters so they are proven to be fertile. What could possibly be going on? I have 4 hens under my blue one and 8 under the black Roo. They have space and I see them doing the deed every time I'm outside. I've heard that fluffier breeds have trouble due to the thick feathering but Sumatra's aren't that fluffy. Thanks in advance

Hello, I have been experiencing some fertility issues with both of my Sumatra roosters. I have definitely hatched out a few from both roosters so they are proven to be fertile. What could possibly be going on? I have 4 hens under my blue one and 8 under the black Roo. They have space and I see them doing the deed every time I'm outside. I've heard that fluffier breeds have trouble due to the thick feathering but Sumatra's aren't that fluffy. Thanks in advance

Are you assigning fertility issues based on poor hatch rates or on the examination of germinal discs showing a low percentage of being fertile?

You might have to get a roster that's a different breed.

What would that accomplish? The breed is the least likely issue here - *if* the issue is with the roos then replacement *may* be needed, but that does not mean that a different breed would be needed, a new rooster of the same breed would be just as useful as a rooster of another breed and avoid the issue of no longer breeding true if a different breed were to be used.

Last edited:
Their roster might be no good.
As explained above, *if* the rooster in question is experiencing decreased fertility (age, illness, poor condition, etc) then yes, replacing him may be helpful - however, there is no need to change the breed even in those situations---and if someone is breeding for the purpose of maintaining a particular breed then adding a different breed would be a very poor direction to go.

Are you assigning fertility issues based on poor hatch rates or on the examination of germinal discs showing a low percentage of being fertile?

I am basing it on candling the eggs 7-10 days after I set them. I have eggs from my D'uccles in the same incubator for the same time and there's veins throughout 90% of those eggs. I have had hatches before from these roosters last summer. The Blue Sumatra is about 2.5 years old and the black is just under 2 years. The hens are between 1 yr and 3 yrs

Last edited:
I am basing it on candling the eggs 7-10 days after I set them. I have eggs from my D'uccles in the same incubator for the same time and there's veins throughout 90% of those eggs. I have had hatches before from these roosters last summer. The Blue Sumatra is about 2.5 years old and the black is just under 2 years. The hens are between 1 yr and 3 yrs

I would suggest sacrificing some eggs over the next several days - crack and examine the actual germinal disc....this will help to narrow whether it is a matter of the eggs not being fertilized or another issue causing a lack of development and help you to decide the best next step.

Back
Top Bottom