Fighting Hens

whitpotomos2015

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2016
Hey! I've been having a problem with my 8 hens. We've had them for 2 years and they have gotten along fine but recently 7 of them have been teaming up on 1. I have two road island reds, two americanos, two black sexlinks and two buff orpingtons. One buff Orpington, Big Bird, is usually broody and at the top of the pecking order but now everyone is fighting with her when she gets off the eggs. They fly all over with their feet together and eventually one hen pecks out one of Big Birds feathers

Hey! I've been having a problem with my 8 hens. We've had them for 2 years and they have gotten along fine but recently 7 of them have been teaming up on 1. I have two road island reds, two americanos, two black sexlinks and two buff orpingtons. One buff Orpington, Big Bird, is usually broody and at the top of the pecking order but now everyone is fighting with her when she gets off the eggs. They fly all over with their feet together and eventually one hen pecks out one of Big Birds feathers
I'm not sure what to do and how to stop it. I've also noticed that Big Birds comb has started to loose it's color. I'm really worried

How should I separate her? I just got rid of my old coop and don't have any place to keep her. I'm not sure how long she's been sitting on the eggs but she usually gets off at least once a day and is never on for more than 3 days in a row. Also will she be ok alone if I find a safe place to separate her?

Back
Top Bottom