10 Years
May 23, 2009
North central Illinois
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

The girls are 18.5 weeks old, but only 2 are showing signs of maturing, the Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red. Big combs, red wattles, red faces. Now, the BR squatted for me this morning! YES!!! Finally!!!

Nestbox in place: check
Golf balls in nests: check
Wattles and combs growing: check
Squatting: check
Eggs: SOON, I hope!

pop.gif
Waiting, patiently waiting.

Quote:
The Barred Rock has been very "talkative", but I haven't heard ANYTHING that sounds like the egg song. Also read on BYC that some don't sing. I actually hope mine don't, because I don't want the neighbors to hear all that ruckus!

Confession: I actually was singing the egg song to THEM yesterday. Softly. Bok, bok, bok, buggawwwk! They seemed pretty interested!
I really MUST be a crazy chicken lady now!
hide.gif
What have you people on BYC done to me?!
barnie.gif
lol.png

My BR doesn't sing either, which is funny since she's normally the mouthiest one in the bunch.

All of mine seemed to get REALLY vocal the day they laid their eggs. More than the usual squawking. Then they would pace in and out of the coop. Really funny actually.

Of the 6 pullets I have, only the BO and RIR sing. The BO purrs when she's on the nest, but sings to announce the arrival. The RIR sounds like she's been a chain smoker for 50 years. The others just do Bok bok sounds.

Still waiting for the first squat. . . the girls are about 19 weeks now, and the RIR and BR are getting very red around the face. . . I have NEVER HEARD the egg song, and really eager to get aquainted with that sound. . . soon, maybe soon. . . I have noticed that the nest boxes have been "messed with". . . oh. . . the agony of waiting. . . .

Ah heck...my 21 week old's have had the red combs and squat down for so long I have lost track..they just can't seem to get the egg to my table yet
lol.png
freeloaders have it way too good here!
Actually I'm hoping any day now...my leghorns are all laying fine just these brown egg layers.....
fl.gif
for you We will all have breakfast on a regular basis soon.
pop.gif

Mrs.ChickChick :

Confession: I actually was singing the egg song to THEM yesterday. Softly. Bok, bok, bok, buggawwwk! They seemed pretty interested!
I really MUST be a crazy chicken lady now!
hide.gif
What have you people on BYC done to me?!
barnie.gif
lol.png

lau.gif

Now that's a whole new level of crazy chicken lady.
wink.png
tongue.png

I've had some that sing, some that don't. I only have one that's laying right now, an ISA Brown, and she doesn't. My Silver Laced Wyandotte was very talkative and friendly today when I went out, it's not like her. And she was all bedded down in under the wild rose bush next to the coop. I'm hoping her talkative-ness is a sign. She's the first I've ever had of that breed so I'm interested to see what she lays for me.​

Back
Top Bottom