First chickens and now piglets

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
I am so excited, we got two little pigs last night for $20 a piece. Put them in a completely enclosed dog pen until dh gets their pen finished. He has three sides done but needs to finish the fourth side and put in a gate. They are five weeks old and a mixed breed. I called the local MFA to discover that pig feed is seven dollars cheaper than chicken feed.
tongue.png
Of course, I didn't think to ask about pig starter. duh!
I just took them out a large serving of bread cubes, apple pieces and warm milk mixed with a duck egg...huge. They took their time discovering it but are lapping it up now. We hadn't planned on getting them until the pen was finished but came across them last night and didn't want to miss getting them. They have a large dog house with lots of straw where they are now. Plus a large waterer.
What kind of feed should I use? I have been reading where people feed lots of different things before putting them on straight pig feed. So like you all came through for me with the chickens I again, need your advice. Thanks in advance.

you can feed them what is called chops an shorts.an if you have any milk thats gone bad.you can feed that to them as well.an you can feed them veggie scrapps.

wynedot55, thank you so much for the info. I put some shavings in their dog house and they are in there now all snuggled up together asleep.
Here is a pic of them...dark one is Juno and the tri colored is Charlotte.
DSC02767.jpg

Here Pig, Pig, Pig..... Mine always come running when they hear that. They know it means food.

They're pretty small for weaners. But, just keep them gaining weight and you'll be fine.

I believe each bag of pig feed costs me $12 so I'm always trying to stretch it as far as possible using eggs, milk, kitchen scraps and garden scraps. I just avoid putting meat in with them.

I just got back from the feed store. Young woman who works in there raises feeder pigs so she helped me get what I needed. Wormer, chops, and pig starter. She told me to wet down their food at first. I am so excited over raising these. Thanks for the kind words and I sure welcome advice, and thanks for the advice already given. I will pay attention to what you all say.
big_smile.png

The Pig makes the farm go round.

I get my first set of weaners tomorrow. I am not exagerrating in saying I have two wheelbarrows full of unused eggs and garden scraps waiting for them. We can start giving the whey from cheese making along with any extra goat milk, too. I am so excited since we processed our last ones before Christmas. It's been far too long without piggies.

Back
Top Bottom