First hatching with my broody silkie...

JaneBrook

Chirping
Oct 8, 2018
Isle of Sheppey
19 days ago I received 8 mixed fertilized eggs through the post via Royal Mail.
I have 6 bantams & 2 Rhode Island reds but it was my black silkie ‘Jemima’ who has gone broody along with a tiny frizzle called Molly who has decided to share the incubation :eek:
I candled them a few days ago & a couple of the eggs looked different so probably not going to make it :idunno

I’ve started this thread for advice & for anyone who wants to follow my (our) journey...
I will try & post as many photos as I can but as you can imagine when eggs are under a broody hen (not incubator) I don’t want to stress Jemima.

Fingers crossed as the hatching day approaches :jumpy

Attachments

JaneBrook

Chirping
Oct 8, 2018
Isle of Sheppey
My main reason for increasing my flock was to get varied egg colors...
These are the fetalized egg breeds sent to me - giving me blue, green & dark brown eggs.
Cream Legbar
Maran
Easter egger
The Easter egger is the chicken I’m most curious to see as I know very little about it, in fact I hadn’t heard of it...

Attachments

Nov 28, 2017
UK
Thanks featherplanets - exciting times... just been to feed Jemima & Molly sardines & water, they won’t get off those eggs even though they’re hungry & thirsty- nature never fails to amaze me x
Bless them. My girls love sardines. Now if only one of them would go broody too...

JaneBrook

Chirping
Oct 8, 2018
Isle of Sheppey
Three of the eight eggs have hatched & doing well... Jemima (the silkie) turned homicidle (something I’d never come across before) & killed one chick- so she was removed & Molly (lavender frizzle) became the sole mum & she’s doing a great job (photo)
Of the four eggs left (day 23) one hadn’t developed & the 3 look strange when candled - the air sack has fluid moving in it & im not sure what to do as Molly has decided to loose interest - what should I do?

Attachments

Top Bottom