First time chicken flock - general beginning questions

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
Help

So we just bought a property in Central Texas. We have a pond and have finished our duck flock (1 pekin male, 1 pekin female, 2 Cayuga female, 1 silver Appleyard female). The ducks have their own coop and area by the pond but roam the propert freely and spend most of their time in the yard by the house. Nearby is the chicken coop (pictures attached).
We are looking to start with the chickens.
I have a variety of general questions:
- how many chickens is the minimum for a healthy flock
- how many is the maximum for this coop
- what is the optimal male/female ratio
- what breeds should I focus on (we are looking for eggs not raising them for meat
- can I mix and match certain breeds? Would love a variety
- what are the best hatcheries for chickens
- should I start with all chick's or get older chickens/roosters and from where
- are there certain breeds that would work with the ducks should they come across one another while foraging/free roaming

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions/ general comments

Attachments

• 20220626_120733.jpg
    20220626_120733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220626_120743.jpg
    20220626_120743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220626_120751.jpg
    20220626_120751.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220626_120802.jpg
    20220626_120802.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220626_120831.jpg
    20220626_120831.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220626_120829.jpg
    20220626_120829.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 7
It's really up to you if you want to get chicks or chickens. I would recommend chicks first so that you know their healthy. We made the mistake of getting chickens right away(these were our first) and the whole flock had mycoplasma. On the other hand If you get chickens they will already be laying and If they look healthy and you trust the sellers word then they won't die as easily as chicks.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your location into your profile it will always be there to reference so you can get better-targeted advice. Climate matters.

I have a variety of general questions:
- how many chickens is the minimum for a healthy flock
- how many is the maximum for this coop
- what is the optimal male/female ratio
- what breeds should I focus on (we are looking for eggs not raising them for meat
- can I mix and match certain breeds? Would love a variety
- what are the best hatcheries for chickens
- should I start with all chick's or get older chickens/roosters and from where
- are there certain breeds that would work with the ducks should they come across one another while foraging/free roaming

The usual accepted minimum flock is 3 -- because chickens are flock animals and are unhappy without other chicken companions.

What are the dimensions of the coop?

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Does the rear section of the structure stay the same temperature as the front, open section? If not, you need more ventilation back there.

Here's my article on Hot Climate chicken-keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

And my article on Ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

And here is an article on why the commonly-used numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast *rules*. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

The usual number given for females to males is 10 hens for every rooster. This is not a magic number. Sometimes chickens can be kept in pairs or trios. Sometimes a young, vigorous rooster can maintain fertility for twice that many hens. Sometimes rooster will tolerate each other and work as a team. Sometimes, regardless of the number of hens, they will fight.

People here often recommend that for your first flock you go with all females in order to learn the ropes of chicken keeping before you have to deal with the complications of males -- particularly hormonal cockerels. This is recommended even more strongly if you have young children in the household because an aggressive rooster will attack at face level for a child and tragic, permanent injuries are possible. :(

*However* some people's goals for their flock require a male from the beginning and it *can* work -- if you learn the signs of possible trouble and are willing to cull any males that become aggressive.

As far as breeds, Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens!

More seriously, you're in an extreme climate so you're going to want to consider heat resistance when making your choices. The most heat tolerant are the Mediterranean breeds but any of the common, dual-purpose breeds with clean legs and large, single combs are likely to do well.

Here in the Steamy Southeast, my Australorps and my California white have done best and my Wyandotte, while not in danger, has been less happy and active on blistering-hot days.

I personally like raising chicks and my favorite hatchery is Ideal, both for their small order policies and because they're in Texas and I believe that pre-selects their birds for heat tolerance since their breeding flocks have to produce in the heat. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to deal with young chicks, however, and you can often find "started" and "point-of-lay" pullets on Craigslist -- I sell birds of those ages myself. :)

I can't speak to the question of ducks. About the only thing I know about ducks and chickens is that drakes must NOT be allowed to attempt to mate with chicken hens because a drake has a penis but a rooster does not and thus a drake can kill a hen since she doesn't have the anatomy to cope with his anatomy. :(

Here's a good overview: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-raise-chickens.47660/

Feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of. People here are always happy to help.

Wow thanks for that reply. Where to start...

The rear or more enclosed part of the coop is 12 ft X 12 ft X 7.5 ft LxWxH
The more open front part is 8 ft X 12 ft X 7.5 ft
I will do as you recommend and cut some more ventilation at the very top of the back portion and secure it with wire. Should I worry about rain being able to come through them? Should I cut the majority of the top strip to make ventilation out just a couple of large ones?

As for numbers i think between 4 and 5 is the way for is to go right now. And maybe we will start with just chickens and wait for the male as long as the chickens don't need him.
And since we are looking for only egg production at this time not much of a worry for that reason.
Ideal is only an hour away but a far as I can tell they only do straight run out am I missing something...
Breed wise we will focus on hot weather, though can we freely mix breeds and have a very diverse flock?
Cackle Hatchery currently has black cockle marans that look cool and are hot weather tolerable (according to the internet) would also get an easteregger maybe a silkie of fun looking egg layer

That's wonderfully roomy -- enough space for over 30 chickens if you ever wanted that many. :)

This is great -- having extra space gives you so many options and so much flexibility!

Should I worry about rain being able to come through them? Should I cut the majority of the top strip to make ventilation out just a couple of large ones?

You'll need to shelter the vents from the weather. Putting awnings over them is probably the best option. See what I did with my brooder?

cover-image

You can probably come up with something less redneck and more aesthetically pleasing. I was in a hurry and working with a structure nowhere near as excellent as yours.

As for the number and size of the vents -- the goal is to have the temperature and humidity the same inside and out. In a hot climate it's nearly impossible to have too much ventilation as long as it's possible for the chickens to stay dry and out of the wind.

As for numbers i think between 4 and 5 is the way for is to go right now. And maybe we will start with just chickens and wait for the male as long as the chickens don't need him.
And since we are looking for only egg production at this time not much of a worry for that reason.
Ideal is only an hour away but a far as I can tell they only do straight run out am I missing something...
Breed wise we will focus on hot weather, though can we freely mix breeds and have a very diverse flock?
Cackle Hatchery currently has black cockle marans that look cool and are hot weather tolerable (according to the internet) would also get an easteregger maybe a silkie of fun looking egg layer

Starting with a smaller flock is good. You'll learn how to care for them with more manageable numbers and you'll be able to learn their personalities and individual traits.

Some terminology to help you when you ask questions or read threads:

Chicken -- any member of Gallus gallus domesticus.

Hen -- adult female chicken.

Pullet -- young female chicken up to a year old (some people call them hens once they start laying).

Rooster -- adult male chicken.

Cockerel -- young male chicken under a year old.

Chick -- baby chicken up to 8-10 weeks old.

Ideal does have sexed pullets. I've ordered them several times. Unfortunately, their website is not the easiest to navigate. :(

However, their customer service is first rate so you can use the live help, call, or email them.

I've never bought chicks from Cackle, but they have a sterling reputation.

IMO, getting a variety of breeds is a great way to get started. I personally looked at a large variety of possibilities, narrowed it down to half a dozen of the most likely, and bought several kinds.

After having them for a while I really fell in love with my Blue Australorps and am breeding those, but I'm still keeping some assorted other layers for variety.

I have some French Cuckoo Marans that would be one of my top choices if I hadn't fallen so hard for the Blue Australorps. :)

Redneck is always good.
Looks like I can just cut a bunch of vents at the top and put a hinge up there to make awnings.
Ya definitely not doing 30 yet starting with a variety just have to choose now...
I will b do some more research on ideal especially since I'm so close.

The only hiccup I can think of is my current baby bird hatching area is currently occupied with these 3 ducklings that are about 5 days old...I know people do mixed flocks but obviously wonder of mixed chicks/ducklings is a thing. Ducks can't eat the chicken food unless niacin is added but can the chicks eat the duck food...

Attachments

• 20220623_101033.jpg
    20220623_101033.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom