First Time Ever...Cockeral Came At Me

I've had good roosters who would act up a little in the spring like this, although it is a little early.

I definitely wouldn't say he is aggressive. In fact, I just rehome two cockerals (only because I only want to keep one) and he had no issues with them and one was even crowing and mating the hens. He never went after them at all. He is also very gentle with the hens. I think it could very well be more of a "skittish" thing, but time will tell. I will try the picking up and carrying thing if he does it again. He doesn't like to be picked up....we do it every so often just to make sure he knows we are bigger/stronger than he is and you can tell he just hates it! LOL

Good luck. I have two silkie roos (both 8 months old). One has never displayed an ounce of aggression towards me, the other is a total butthead. He comes flying at my legs for no reason, and he managed to peck me in the butt the other day.
ep.gif
I've tried taking him on (today I chased him out of the coop and wouldn't let him back in after he came at me). I've tried picking him up and loving on him. Neither seems to be working.
he.gif
At this point, his days may be numbered.

an aggressive rooster can be dangerous. a true man fighter is disturbed mentally. theres a difference in the two. very rare to have a true man fighter. but either way. i cull both types. no sense spreading the problem around.

My BR roo has gone after my GS and DD... I had them hold "Earl" by the feet, around the run. My thought was to humiliate him. Don't know if it worked???? I still in the deciding stage.
idunno.gif
to cull or not to cull
idunno.gif
That is MY ??????

I am happy to report that he has not done anything like this again. He's been a good boy, as usual. Hopefully, it was a one time thing because I spooked him.
smile.png

I've had some of my teenage roos do the same thing yours did , but mostly they peck and try to grab on like a bite like some roosters do to their hens to hold on. I just keep on and pick them up and carry them around like a baby doll, baby talking and petting their necks and face, and it usually breaks them of it when they get treated like a little baby doll, because I only let them go when I'm ready- not necessarily when they're ready. They end up realizing I'm not trying to hurt them and that I'm in charge. Some that have done that have still turned out to be the sweetest most tame pettable roos. I had one Houdan, that would peck my shoes every time he wanted to be picked up, and once he was in my arms was as happy as could be. He started off as a skittish chick I'd bought after he was a few weeks old, but I had to rehome him d/t my 'mean hens' picking out his crest. I don't know if this would work with older roosters though.

Back
Top Bottom