First time seeing this!

PUKpukPUK

Hatching
Mar 20, 2018
Hi pls do advise as what is this in his eye, comb and wattle. Do I need to separate him. Curable? I'd it deadly ot terminal? Any bit of info welcomed. Thx RF

Attachments

• IMG_20180628_145459.jpg
    IMG_20180628_145459.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 17
The spots on the comb and wattles look like fowl pox, it's a virus transmitted usually via mosquito bite. The eye is not clear enough to tell for sure, but may be a secondary infection due to the pox. I would flush the eye out with saline or vetericyn eye wash, make sure any pus is removed (pus is thick and cheesy in chickens, not liquid like in humans) and use either terramycin eye ointment which is available at many feed stores and tractor supplies, (Your location is not in your profile, if you are not in the US then other options for medication may have to be found) or an eye drop like these :https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product...N4jWJx6uFAJWQau_Sls0TADBoJiyqmVxoCwzgQAvD_BwE
Fowl pox comes in two forms, wet and dry. The dry form usually runs it's course in a few weeks with no real issues unless the bird is weakened by other health problems. Those white spots will darken and scab over as it runs it's course. The illness can be spread through the scabs so it's generally better to leave them alone. The wet form can cause lesions in the mouth and throat and that form can be more serious. Here is some more info: http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/how-to-easily-diagnose-and-treat-fowl-pox/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Fowl pox maybe? Not sure how much this affects the eyes and respiratory system. Can you look inside his beak for cheesy like lesions? I think that’s how you look for wet pox, but I’m sure someone e else knows more. If it’s just us on this thread right now, at least that’s a starting point. Good luck!

OOPS. Was writing this as @coach723 was posting above and missed it.

Thank you for the replies.. I will take a few more pics in the morning.. There are plenty mosses where I am and that might be the cause. I need to isolate or quarantine him?

Thx
RF

I generally don't isolate for this unless the bird is really acting unwell, and maybe being picked on by other birds or being kept from food and water. If he has trouble seeing because of his eye, then that might be a reason to separate him if he's having trouble, until the eye clears up. If he has a lesion/scab/spot very close to the eye, that can cause a secondary bacterial infection in the eye, thus the drops. Since the mosquitos are everywhere, it's likely others are already exposed anyway. They do build resistance after being infected and recovering, so generally a one time thing for each bird. In some cases it can be so mild as to be almost not noticable, in other cases more obvious with lots of lesions. Keeping feeders, waterers, and runs clean can help minimize transmission through the scabs being sloughed off. If you live in a place where it's a big problem, or see very many cases of wet pox, then there is a vaccine available, but needs to be given to healthy birds generally between 8-12 weeks old (at least 8 weeks old, and 4 weeks before point of lay).

Back
Top Bottom