Flag at half staff for Whitney Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, some of the comments here are pretty distressing and seem a bit overboard. If you live in New Jersey and you are familiar with Newark and the Oranges, then I would be very suprised if you would question the Governor's descision to order the flags flown at half staff. You should know that the flags were flown at half staff for Sinatra (not exactly a Saint) and Clarence Clemons of E Street band fame and many others like them without any fuss or comments. Whitney Houston was a hero (albeit flawed) to many, many people who lived in Newark and the Oranges. Before her death you could see her name prominently displayed on schools, hospitals and other places where she generously gave time and money. To liken this decision as a slap in the face to the great men and women who have otherwise served this country is a very flawed and pathetic arguement.

Capvin...... will you marry me?
hide.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Whitney Housten was the first Black woman to be featured on MTV, and revolutionalized Black... especialy Black women's, relationship with popular music and the industry.

That acheivment alone is worth noting.

authorizes a governor to half-staff the US flag upon the death of a present or former official of the government of the state, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that state who dies while serving on active duty.
The President, by comparison, is authorized to half-staff the US flag by proclamation upon the death of principal figures of the US Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as well as in the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries.
We recommend flying the state flag at half-staff.
A recent change allows governors to order the flag to half-staff to honor fallen soldiers from their state (see Public Law 110-41). The change was the result of governor proclamations, like this one from Governor Granholm of Michigan.
Some object to this extension of a governor's authority because they feel half-staffing the flag for every fallen soldier can be seen as anti-war. Some feel that overuse cheapens the symbolic power of half-staffing the flag, traditionally reserved for political leaders.

It appears that our arguments may not be as flawed and pathetic as the voting decisions of the state of NJ.

It appears that our arguments may not be as flawed and pathetic as the voting decisions of the state of NJ.
I really hate to tell you, but regardless of your citation of Section 7M of the Flag Code, your arguments are legally flawed and unsustainable in any Court. The Governor DID NOT violate that law. I will refrain from going into any long winded legal argument to dispute your claim, but the first thing that you want to remember is that Christie is the Governor of the State of New Jersey and as such, notwithstanding Article 7M, he has very wide latitude with what he can do in his State all in the name of State's Rights. If you really want to get buried in your argument, write a letter to Governor Christie and he will tell you that Whitney Houston and all of the others that he has decided to fly the flag at half staff WERE QUASI OFFICIALS OF THE STATE OF NJ. And who says so??? The Governor of the State who can make a piece of swiss cheese a quasi official. Try and forget the legalities because you will not win on that score. The only real issue that remains is the question that was first proposed...Did Governor Christie do the right thing when he ordered the Flags flown at half staff in New Jersey? If you don't like what he did then your answer is NO.. Others have answered in the affirmative. I might add that every single Governor of every State in the Union has done the same thing as Christie.

As to the marriage proposals my wife says that she will take them under advisement.

Well, seeing as we aren't exactly in a court of law but on a chicken forum, my trying to get the argument to stand up in a court of law isn't really relevant, now is it? The point in question was this: Was our point of view flawed and pathetic?

Apparently many in the US do not think so or there wouldn't be such a media buzz. Apparently the Flag Code doesn't state it either, as clearly written above.

Your opinion, however, is your own and the only thing for which you have any support of your claim that our viewpoint is flawed and pathetic. In a court of law you are certainly entitled to your opinion and on a chicken forum you are indeed, again, entitled to your opinion.

As are we.
wink.png

Which is worth noting the fact that she is black or that she was disadvantage compared to any other colored person? Are blacks at a disadvantage because they are black or in this case was she inducted to MTV because she had a great voice? Besides the fact that she happened to be born black was there another disadvantage she possessed that I am not aware of? Was MTV not allowing blacks before?

Capvin...... will you marry me?
hide.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Whitney Housten was the first Black woman to be featured on MTV, and revolutionalized Black... especialy Black women's, relationship with popular music and the industry.

That acheivment alone is worth noting.

Last edited:
No, the point was not whether your point of view regarding this decision was "flawed and pathetic." A lot of people disagreed with Christie's decision and a lot agreed with it. Neither opinion was flawed and pathetic. What I said was flawed and pathetic was to say that to fly the flag at half staff for Houston and others like her demeaned the great men and women who served this country. Nothing of this sort could ever demean them and this act by Christie certainly did not. As for the rest of what you say we entirely agree. The Flag Code has nothing to do with anyone's arguments for or against the decision to fly the flag at half staff. That was my entire point.

Well, seeing as we aren't exactly in a court of law but on a chicken forum, my trying to get the argument to stand up in a court of law isn't really relevant, now is it? The point in question was this: Was our point of view flawed and pathetic?

Apparently many in the US do not think so or there wouldn't be such a media buzz. Apparently the Flag Code doesn't state it either, as clearly written above.

Your opinion, however, is your own and the only thing for which you have any support of your claim that our viewpoint is flawed and pathetic. In a court of law you are certainly entitled to your opinion and on a chicken forum you are indeed, again, entitled to your opinion.

As are we.
wink.png

I get so tired of hearing this issue that every time something comes up like this and a black person is involved they want to holler because they are black.Right is right and wrong is wrong.She did good in her life as well as she did bad.She was human just like each and every one of us living,so don't make black the issue.We have men and women that have died for this country,(all types of races) and have been law abiding citizens and they didn't get such an honor.They give the most precious thing anyone can give and that was their life.She deserved to be recognized for her accomplishments,but not with the Nations Flag.Give the right Honors for the approiate occasion.I don't agree that Elvis should have gotten the honor,but he did serve his country.He was there if needed.We can't say rather he would have had to go,but he was there.They both did their drugs and their drinking and partying and yet they both did good for people in need.I do Thank God that they did,But they didn't deserve the National Flag.It's my opinion and that's how I feel.I was in during Viet Nam and should I die today I don't deserve the Nations Flag.I was willing to fight but I didn't and I didn't die for my Country.

I get so tired of hearing this issue that every time something comes up like this and a black person is involved they want to holler because they are black.Right is right and wrong is wrong.She did good in her life as well as she did bad.She was human just like each and every one of us living,so don't make black the issue.We have men and women that have died for this country,(all types of races) and have been law abiding citizens and they didn't get such an honor.They give the most precious thing anyone can give and that was their life.She deserved to be recognized for her accomplishments,but not with the Nations Flag.Give the right Honors for the approiate occasion.I don't agree that Elvis should have gotten the honor,but he did serve his country.He was there if needed.We can't say rather he would have had to go,but he was there.They both did their drugs and their drinking and partying and yet they both did good for people in need.I do Thank God that they did,But they didn't deserve the National Flag.It's my opinion and that's how I feel.I was in during Viet Nam and should I die today I don't deserve the Nations Flag.I was willing to fight but I didn't and I didn't die for my Country.

what???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom