Flax seed oil for chickens

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone! I've been paying more attention to my flock lately, with the winter weather demanding cleaning more often. I've started to really notice that one of my bantam hens, and Doodle seem to have poor feather quality in their tails. Nugget, my Gray Japanese bantam has scraggily feathers in her tail, and her feathers just don't seem as ice as the others. I'm assuming its because she's young and hasn't gotten to go through a full molt yet, would that make sense? Doodle hasn't had a full molt yet either, just mini molts right before winter. She also has poor feathers in her tail.
We supplement our horses with flax seed in the winter for Omega 3's, and to help them grown their winter coats. I was wondering if I could supplement the hens with Flax seed oil (or ground flax seed) to help keep them warm and improve feather quality? How much would I feed? Assuming I would feed the oil on top of soaked feed correct? Would oil or ground be better, or does it matter? Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. Interested to see others opinions on supplementing with flax seed.

I've never done the oil. Ground seed about 1 tbs. per hen daily. Flax seed can cause liver problems and I think kidney too. You will have to keep an eye on them.

I've never done the oil. Ground seed about 1 tbs. per hen daily. Flax seed can cause liver problems and I think kidney too. You will have to keep an eye on them.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I wouldn't want to weaken their immune system in anyway, so if theres a risk I probably wont do it. My flock has ALV, so their immune systems need to be up to par.
I'll have to look into other options for Omega's then. Suggestions are welcome! :)

How about cod liver oil instead?
Thats a good one! I was looking into fish oil, but I don't like to use that because of the high oxidation risk (making it ineffective) and Green Lipped Muscle oil is to expensive, thats what I use for my dogs. Cod liver oil os a great idea! I'll have to look into that.
Do you know anything about dosage?

Back
Top Bottom