HensAndFriends

Chirping
Aug 28, 2022
I have 15 hens (which is my optimal number)

A) 10 pullets | 5 months old
B) 3 hens | 1 year and 2 months old
C) 2 hens | 2 years and 3 months old

So I want to rotate out my old hens by selling them, and buy new chicks every spring. I have been trying to figure out a good schedule…. Which seems slightly hard.

My original plan:
Sell (C) the 2 year old hens fall 2022
Buy 10 new chicks spring 2023
Sell (B) 3 hens Summer 2023
Repeat

I made the mistake of buying ten chicks at once this spring instead of just a few. However, I was thinking that since my goal is to have at least 10 new layers I thought that was ok.

Please share your rotational plans and thoughts! Thanks

It really depends on how long you want to keep each hen.

For a rotation of 15 hens:

--If you want to keep each hen for one year, you would buy 15 chicks every spring, and when they start laying you sell all your older hens. This lets you sell the older hens before they stop laying to molt in the fall, and you don't have to integrate new pullets with older hens.

--If you want to keep each hen for two years, you would buy 7 or 8 chicks every spring, keep them plus the year-old hens, and sell the two-year-old ones. Hens often lay well for their second year too, and this gives your flock more continuity (not entirely new each year.)

--If you want to keep each hen for three years, you would buy 5 chicks every spring, keep them plus the year-old and two-year-old hens, and sell the ones that are three years old. This would involve keeping hens longer than what you're currently planning, so I won't bother listing out any longer rotation. In general, hens lay fewer eggs with each successive year, but some people become very fond of their older hens and want to continue keeping them.

There is also the option of raising more chicks than you keep, so you keep only the chicks you like best. So you would maybe buy 10 chicks, and keep 5 or 7 or whatever makes the correct number for the rotation you choose.

And of course you can do something less strict, like raising 10 new chicks each spring, and selling all but your favorite 5 older hens, no matter what age those favorite 5 are. Or evaluating your hens each spring, thinking about which ones you would like to keep for another year, and then buying the right number of new chicks to work with that number.

When I mention choosing chicks or hens to keep, that includes any traits that matter to you. It could mean the best layers, but it could also include ones with specific egg colors, or nice personalities, or ones that just look pretty, or whatever else you decide in a particular year. No matter what rotation you choose, you can give your self permission to change it a bit, if you want to keep a particular hen who has become extra-special to you. Just don't keep TOO many old hens if you want good egg production :)

However, I was thinking that since my goal is to have at least 10 new layers I thought that was ok.
It is if you get rid of the 5 older birds....or have space for more of them over the winter.

It is hard to rotate and keep those eggs coming year round.
I used to hatch every early spring, slaughter cockerels in summer and older hens in fall.

Fwiw it might be helpful to keep in mind what buyers want too, so they show up reliably and it doesn't become a dragged out process to sell older layers.

- Spring is when everyone gets chicken fever because everything is greener and they see the advertisements everywhere.
Some say "Oh I want some layers but I don't want to raise chicks for so long to get them". That's your market right there.
Come fall, many people are winding down their gardens and thinking of the coming winter. A hen that's going to be on break soon is not as appealing, unless you're just selling them for soup.

- Every year in age makes it harder to sell the hens. You would have an easier time selling 1 year olds, and get more back for them.

I bought some two year old hens.
They are a hard to find color of a breed difficult to find pure (Ameraucana). We were surprised how well they were laying (before fall molt anyway, something else to keep in mind). So I felt like it was a great purchase for my breeding projects!

With that in mind, consider choosing stock based on what breeds aren't commonly for sale on your local craigslist / FB / etc.. Pure bred colorful eggs are always popular, so are loud or unusual colors.

Very good info 👍🏻

Even if I was selling in the late summer/early fall, do you think people would still want 1year old hens? Also, would $15 per hen be too much? I raise golden comets, barred rock, and leghorns.

I guess to be able to sell hens in the spring I’ll have to buy chicks even earlier!

I can't be sure what it's like for your area, but around here it would be easier to sell 2 year old's in spring than 1 year old's in late summer / fall.
It was this spring when I listed some Cream Legbar hens and people were pouncing all over me, I got $30 each and no one seemed to think twice about their age.
Then in summer we listed 30 Speckled Sussex (1 year old's and POL, for $20-$25). That dragged on forever! About 3 months. People wanted 2 at a time to expand their existing flocks. They'd lost some chicks from their spring batches and so forth. We had to keep shelling out for feed while waiting and were getting more eggs than we could move or eat, so it was wasteful.
You can still sell hens in summer, but in my experience the mentality of the buyer is different. They have more impulse control. More people want to "chat" about them on and off and never follow through.

With production breeds like Leghorns and Comets, it would be a good idea to move them out at 1 year. Because your typical buyer is going to be production minded.

As for price, it sounds reasonable to me, but what we think doesn't matter. It's all about what the buyers in your area will actually pay.
When I list, I like to start with my hoped for amount, and then if I don't get a nibble bring it down till I do. I use craigslist for that because people on FB pay attention if they see you changing your terms and then think they can talk you down to free 😂
Tip: Be certain and firm when selling on social media. There should be groups for your state and general area too. Avoid money terminology because FB is all stringent about selling animals now.

Even if I was selling in the late summer/early fall, do you think people would still want 1year old hens? Also, would $15 per hen be too much? I raise golden comets, barred rock, and leghorns.
Depends on your local market,
and how savvy people are(those in the know, wouldn't buy second year layers in the fall).
The best price is what the buyer is willing to pay...again depends on the market/buyer.

I guess to be able to sell hens in the spring I’ll have to buy chicks even earlier!
The time to buy or hatch chicks depends on the timing,
to hope they lay in the fall before the older birds stop laying.
Here in Michigan, I like to start new chicks in early April.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @HensAndFriends
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1661776755348.png

Also, would $15 per hen be too much?

Check the going prices in your local area.

Where I am, POL pullets of any breed or mix will go for $15 but I can get $20 for desirable breeds or colors.

However, mature hens drop down to about $10 unless they're super-desirable (I'm going to try to get $15 for a year-old Lavender Orpington).

I won't go under $10 even for soup-hens because for that price I can eat them myself.

Local demand matters.

Oops, I forgot to answer the original question,

One common plan is to replace 1/3 of the flock every year -- carrying 1/3 through their first molt.

Another common plan, for maximum production, is to replace half the flock every year.

Additionally, it's often wise to buy/hatch more chicks than you really want to keep and keep only the best -- selling started chicks and/or POL pullets after selecting the best for your own flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom