Found chick in road..help with ID

Sweetjelly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
Yesterday my neighbor brought me a tiny chick he found in the road. Attached is her photo. She is about 4 inches long and 3 inches high...just TINY! She looks like she is losing her yellow fluffy down and getting white feathers. She can fly up 2 to 3 feet (and hits her head on the top of the dog kennel she is being kept in). She seems very afraid of me (and all people). Based on this how old do you think she is? How on earth she ever got on the road we'll never know...I've never seen any wild chickens around and my husband and I are the only people in our neighborhood that keep chickens (and one accidental rooster). Will it stress her to stay alone (she has parakeets in the same room to keep her company)? I'm wondering if we should get a couple more tiny chicks...don't really want to chance getting another rooster but if it will help this little one....
Any way to tell if she is a she? Any advice on keeping this tiny bird would be greatly appreciated.
68171_chickey.jpg

Last edited:
It won't stress her to stay alone, as long as she is kept someplace warm with food and water she'll be fine.

Give her a small bowl of water with a pinch of sugar mixed in for some energy, and give her some hard boiled or hard scrambled egg to eat.

She sounds like she could be anywhere from a few days or a few weeks old.

To post the pic, copy the pic code and

I thought Turkey poult when I first saw the picture, but now I'm reconsidering that. The face just doesn't look Turkey-ish, if that makes sense.

Will the little guy let you get any closer than that? I can't see him/her very well.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions. My husband picked up two 1-2 week old Rhode Island Red chicks today to keep the little one company. They are at least twice as big as she is! My husband says he doesn't think we have a domestic little one. I have to agree now because she does NOT peep at all like the new ones. Once in a while she makes birdish sounds that are not chickenish.... say what???
You're right she looks a little like a turkey but she is soooo tiny. The fact that she is afraid of us and the new chicks aren't makes me believe she is something else entirely.
I will research the white quail idea. I live in Central Florida and I'm not sure where they're from.
I will try to get a better picture. I would love to hear more of your thoughts.
Thanks again for the help.
Joanie

Here are more pics of the mysterious chick. I can't get a good pic because I only have a phone camera and the little ones don't sit still.

68171_chicky_reds.jpg

68171_chickey_reds_2.jpg

68171_chickey_reds_3.jpg

In this third picture the chick is sitting on the stuffed Santa toy to the right

She was more yellow than white 2 days ago and now is almost all white except the head. Looking more and more like a white quail?
Are they found in the wild here in Florida? If it is a quail should I let her go or what should I do?

Last edited:
Sweetjelly, I am from central fla as well and I'd bet money ( I think ;o)) that your chic is a wild turkey...we have tons of them here and they do look a little different from domestic turkeys, either way you are very sweet to take care of it and offer it a home :eek:) good luck and I cant wait to see photo's as it grows

If it's a turkey, with it's small size would it not be a bantam?? So bantam white turkey..
tongue.png
Please keep us posted, it will be interesting to see what it turns out to be, who knows you may have stumbled upon something rare!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom