Fresh keets

apprentice

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
I am getting couple day old guineas on wednesday. From what I understand they need help getting their first drink and my chick starter food won't work, they need game bird starter. Do they need any type of grit? My starter box is 2 feet tall, is that enough to keep them in until they go in the coop? When can I free range them?

On a side note I will be getting 15 since that was the minimum order. I don't want roosters at all and if I only have a flock of 6I would be content, they are only tick control so far. How would I give the rest away?

First of all, guineas seem to do better in flocks of 10 or more. They are flock animals and just seem happier in larger groups. I guess it's the safety in numbers mentality or something. Yes you want to give them game bird starter, however I don't give mine grit. Some will say they need it, but so far I haven't had an issue without it. Keets seem to grow faster than chicks do too. Your starter box will be fine until they are a couple of months old as long as they have enough room to move around. I let mine out to explore the coop at about a month old. I know others say to let them get older but they really needed the room to move around in. They like to run and take short flights. Now they are about 2 months old and free range all over the place. So far they haven't roamed off very far, but I know it's a matter of time and they will have to "visit" the neighbors or something. I have seen them on top of the coop and the grape arbor. It's like they need to get up high to check out their turf or something.

Around here the best way to rehome them if you choose to do so is to either take them to a poultry auction, or place an add on craigslist. People pay a lot of money for either keets or full grown hens.

I was hoping to wind up with 6 grown hens but I should have room for 10. 30 birds in a 6x10 coop should have room shouldn't they? Its a straw covered concrete floor, I haven't put in another level yet, there is a tree branch in there now for the girls to play on. Speaking of which, they have been in the coop for maybe a month, is it ok to let them roam yet? They will have 6 acres to play on unfenced, hopefully they will at least get the dogs out of tick collars and to advantix again

Back
Top Bottom