Frostbitten Combs and waddles

Chickenbach

Hatching
Jan 16, 2018
This is my first winter with my Ladies and gentlemen, With the weather as cold as it has been I feel challenged on caring for my flock. My rooster has frostbitten waddles and comb!! What can I do to care for him? I'm open for all advice!

How cold is it where you are located? How much ventilation do you have? A picture of your coop and your rooster would help. What breed is he?
Do you keep your food and water in the coop? Do you feed any steaming foods or hot water?

I leave the affected area alone unless their are signs of infection. However, some people apply Vaseline, Udder Balm and other soothing creams. I have discovered if you treat the area with ointments the bird either shakes it off or the other birds start pecking at the area. In that case you can apply BluKote.

P1250922.JPG

This is my first winter with my Ladies and gentlemen, With the weather as cold as it has been I feel challenged on caring for my flock. My rooster has frostbitten waddles and comb!! What can I do to care for him? I'm open for all advice!

You can use Vaseline or Camphor Oil. Massage it in real well. Good luck!

My chickens had frostbite and it went away when it was warm a couple weeks ago. The color came back and you couldn't even tell they had had frostbite! Now, the frostbite is coming back, same chickens, same places. I hate this cold weather! I can't believe how well my chickens and ducks are taking it. Neither are venturing out of their coops! If it gets above freezing I let the ducks take a bath, and they are in heaven then!

I leave the affected area alone unless their are signs of infection. However, some people apply Vaseline, Udder Balm and other soothing creams. I have discovered if you treat the area with ointments the bird either shakes it off or the other birds start pecking at the area. In that case you can apply BluKote.

View attachment 1237966
Thank you for your response, What kind of signs for infection would I look for?

How cold is it where you are located? How much ventilation do you have? A picture of your coop and your rooster would help. What breed is he?
Do you keep your food and water in the coop? Do you feed any steaming foods or hot water?
It was -10 -12 for about 4-6 days, I do have good ventilation in my coop, I DO NOT put any food or water in there coop. However, I do have a open heated water bowl for them and I feed them warm oatmeal almost every morning.

It was -10 -12 for about 4-6 days, I do have good ventilation in my coop, I DO NOT put any food or water in there coop. However, I do have a open heated water bowl for them and I feed them warm oatmeal almost every morning.
In your climate you should do fine with one square foot of ventilation per ten square feet of coop space. I would avoid any coop heating.
I would stop with the warm oatmeal. The steam would cause moisture to accumulate on the wattles, causing increased frostbite.
It gets down to -50 F here on average and I have not had any frostbite excluding on my rooster.
In almost all cases (90% or more) birds do just fine without help. Leave frostbite alone. It will heal or self dub.

Back
Top Bottom