:gig She and Roger sure make pretty babies! I'm hoping to hatch some eggs from Jr and his girls for the little dood so I'm goung to leave some eggs in the nest and see if anyone goes broody.

I candled my egg's in the incubator last night and could see the embryos swimming around in them. Most of the egg's in there now are from my flock, I had to toss many of the shipped one's. I only have 5 of those one's left; 3 BCM's, and 2 of the B/B/S NN. I don't want the Maran one's, but I will keep the B/B/S NN one's that make it to hatch no matter what sex hatches from them.

@NFC are you still snowed in up there?

We've been getting snow since mid-October. Even the old timers around here are saying they haven't seen this much snow for years. I'm totally over it!

We got the 3 cockerels done, Igor is butchering now. He used a piece of chain and we hung them from the shelf on his ladder with the trash can beneath to pluck. It worked great! The Dorking/RR boys had a ton of feathers and the carcasses have these funky hairs all over them. The biggest will be dinner on Thursday. When I went to put them in the crate to move them to the garden they screamed loud enough my neighbors turned on their porch light to look outside. It's much quieter out there, just a few crows from Jr this morning and everyone ate peacefully.

Edit: the largest of the 3 boys dressed out at 5 lbs at 27 weeks. I've never let them just sit at the feeder, they had to get out of the coop and go out to the yard and peck the ground or forage which kept them from standing at the feeders all day once I introduced them again. There was a bit of fat on them but not too much to be gross. I found 2 gallon freezer bags, my vacuum sealer died.

Glad you guys found a way of making it easier to butcher. I'm also glad the neighbors didn't call 9-1-1 to report some suspicious screaming coming from your yard :lol:

I candled my egg's in the incubator last night and could see the embryos swimming around in them. Most of the egg's in there now are from my flock, I had to toss many of the shipped one's. I only have 5 of those one's left; 3 BCM's, and 2 of the B/B/S NN. I don't want the Maran one's, but I will keep the B/B/S NN one's that make it to hatch no matter what sex hatches from them.
Awe that's too bad not many eggs from your shipped ones made it. I'm totally uninterested in anything but Nn after processing tbh.
We've been getting snow since mid-October. Even the old timers around here are saying they haven't seen this much snow for years. I'm totally over it!

Glad you guys found a way of making it easier to butcher. I'm also glad the neighbors didn't call 9-1-1 to report some suspicious screaming coming from your yard :lol:
I was thinking about what I'd say to the police if they showed up. I'm bruised and scratched up from trimming trees and I was going to be slightly bloody shortly...Look officer, it was a rooster that screamed when I took him off the roost for slaughter and butcher?

Awe that's too bad not many eggs from your shipped ones made it. I'm totally uninterested in anything but Nn after processing tbh.

When it come's to shipped egg's, you take your chances and hope for the best. That's why I have to order at least 2 dozen of them at a time, to try to get at least a couple or so that will hatch. Before the end of this year, I will have only the NN's over here. The other full feathered necked one's will be gone.

I was thinking about what I'd say to the police if they showed up. I'm bruised and scratched up from trimming trees and I was going to be slightly bloody shortly...Look officer, it was a rooster that screamed when I took him off the roost for slaughter and butcher?

Good lord! They might have looked around to see if you had a shovel and a fresh hole in the ground!

Oh no worries...they probably hear that alllll the time IM :gig

My Pops, not bad for 89 huh?
IMG_0006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom